1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for unique bass - possible scroll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Hey all,
    I'm GASing for a new bass, but something a little more unique. See, I've been a big fan of Primus through the years and just love the Carl Thompson basses Les plays, but I know they're very rare and acquiring one is like winning the lottery.

Can any of you recommend a luthier that makes these types of basses? I looked into Carrigan Designs, but there just isn't a lot about them. I currently have two jazz basses and am looking to round out my collection with perhaps a scroll bass with humbuckers or something related. I still have the Musicman Stingray HH and the Peavey Cirrus on the back of my mind as options, but they're a dime a dozen.

Just looking for opinions here. I know it appears to be a noob question, but seriously. That's all I'm asking. No need to ask a bunch of follow-up questions. Just looking for some good alternatives I haven't thought of, or luthiers that make great basses at an affordable price point. Thanks!

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Here you go, doesn't get any closer to Carl Thomspon than this:

www.hiltonguitars.com

Pete used to work for Carl.

3. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    A little out of my price range, but those are awesome. Thanks! Maybe something I can shoot for eventually. :)

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Then you need to change your OP to say that you are on a budget.

troy mcclure likes this.
  5. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    I said affordable price point in my original post, but that could be interpreted differently by pretty much everyone. Thanks though. Good knowledge to have either way. Sorry to waste your time bud.

6. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Ampeg scroll basses. TB'er Bruce Johnson restores and recreates them. I think they're less than the Hilton but since you haven't stated a ballpark budget it's hard to know what to recommend. A link is: Johnson's Extremely Strange Musical Instrument Company Home Page

The "Devil Bass" knocks me out but I'd love any of them.

vintage4C.

troy mcclure and EdwardofHuncote like this.
  7. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks! I'm looking between 1500-3000 range. I could always sell some guitars to swing the higher end, but anything over say 4k just is too much unless I'm a professional touring musician, which I'm not. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    ahc beat me to it. Bruce is a frequent contributor here; especially in the Love of Scroll Basses and Hardware, Setup & Repair forums. Very easy guy to talk to, as well...:thumbsup:

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Carrigan was the first company I thought of, but also check out Xylem, Adam Stone, Better Mousetrap, and Knot Head Guitars. There are a few more companies doing (ahem) "tributes" to the CT basses, I'm sure other TB members will chime in here....

10. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Awesome. Thanks guys. This gives me a lot of options to choose from. :)

11. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I guess it depends on what you mean by a Scroll Bass. Over in our little corner of the bass world, we're talking about the Ampeg-style Scroll Basses, which have a scroll-style headstock as their prominent feature. A different category are the Carl Thompson style basses, which have a scroll as the upper horn on the body.

If you are curious about the Ampeg Scroll Bass world, come on over to our threads:
    love of Ampeg and other Scroll Basses
    love of Ampeg and other Scroll Basses, Part 2

In there, you'll find all the pictures, stories, and technical detail that you can stand. I'm the resident historian on these monsters. I restore the original Ampegs and build my own new-generation versions.

Here are some cool pictures I took a few days ago of one of my walnut AMUB-2 models:

IMG_4992B. IMG_4993B.

12. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks Bruce. That looks sweet with tons of character!

13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
  14. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Bruce, apologies for the brief thread derail... I checked out your website (and enjoyed it thoroughly), and since I'm an amateur home shop machinist, I clicked the link "My Antique Machinery", but it doesn't seem to work. Is the link dead, or maybe a problem on my end? I use Firefox browser, and I've had a few oddball problems in the past so maybe it's my computer. Just wondering...

15. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
  16. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    orange joe likes this.
  17. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    So many good basses. I did see the Carl Thompson 5, but yeah. A little bit more than I want to spend. That Woody bass looks nice. It has all of my likings. Just need to do some research on Jared Kurtov. I think he's a member here as well.

18. Lejdestad

Lejdestad

Aug 13, 2015
    IMG_4669.JPG Xylem might be for you! :)

fenderfour likes this.
  19. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

Birdsong has some cool basses in your range:

talismanmain.

?format=500w.

?format=300w.

S064v.