Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for versatile amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, May 15, 2002.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm looking for something that gives sweet and warm harmonics (12th fret). I play a lot rock mixed in with some jazz

I'm looking at a combo mostly because I'm going to be doing a lot of running back and forth but i'm willing to make an exception.

Would like a 210 but if I can't get the sound I want from a 210 then I'll go to something else. Volume doesn't have to be huge but I would like some thing around 300 watts.

Also something durable where I would be bringing it back and forth.

I was looking at a GK 700RB Combo and I did like the look of that aguilar GS112 cab

Any suggestions???

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you should check out the eden metro or a peavey bam. i have an eden metro, and it rocks...sounds great, rock solid. it's a little on the heavy side, but i lug it around in my mitsubishi eclipse. oh yeah, did i mention it sounds great? it's basically a wt-400 sitting on top of a d210xlt, with an additional channel. great amp.

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I played through a eden 210 XLT with a 400 traveler head and it was awseome but I'm not sure if it's me plus I don't live anywhere near any huge guitar stores so it would cost me a bundle to get it in

just let me try one store though to see if they got it and what the price is. I told myself that I'm not going to spend more than $1700

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how heavy are you willing to go? most 2x10 combo's are pretty substantial vs. their compactness. a separate head or component rig plus separate cab is much easier to carry.

small headwise, check out Mesa's Walkabout. has that "rock" feel like the Eden. Lots of guys seem to like it. if you're willing to go solid state, i love my EA iAMP350. not as warm, but definitely, clearer tone, with more EQ settings than you can shake a stick at.

for $1700, you could go whole hog and get a nice component system. as far as preamps, Aguilar DB659's have enough Ampeg like warmth for rock, but also has a hifi feel for jazz. Demeter's VTBMP-201s has a great clear, hifi voice that would be great for jazz. But Patrick Dahlheimer of the band, Live, used one on his last tour. mate them with a nice lightweight QSC or Stewart power amp, and you're good to go.

cab wise, Eden's 2x10 XLT's are the more aggressive of the cabs out there. Try an Aguilar cab for a more hifi feel, Bag End and Acme for tighter low end, Ampeg's for that classic Ampeg push, or Mesa for something more rock but not as aggressive.

good luck.

5. I agree... either an Eden Traveler, iAmp350, or a Mesa WalkAbout. Pair any of them with a Aguilar 112 and you'd have killer tone, portability and a grin you couldn't wipe off your face for a month! :D

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I forgot to tell you that I'm dealing with canadian currency. so $1700 canadian comes to about $1150

But now the reason why I was looking at a GK was because i can get a real sweet deal on one. what if I was to get a 1001RB head or a 700RB head and a aguilar 112GS cab. I also liked the GK heads because they were bi-ampable, powerful and looked like it would go a couple rounds with me smacking my bass off of it

not saying that I would do it but saying that I could do it

I've never tried out any aguilar stuff before but it seems like I would like it

what about warm sweet sounding harmonics? That is probobly one of the things I want the most in an amp.

I would be willing to go out and get a little cart for to puch the stuff around if neccesary

7. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    you play at church too hey

At the curch I play at we play rock and loud stuff although it is a bit hard where we play in a small place. But a bit of power is needed so how loud can you go???

another question I have is is the GS112 bi-ampable?

sorry if I sound like i'm being a bit picky your informaiton is very helpful!

8. So how loud do we play at church... you know lots of the mellower songs are kind of just that, mellow... but some of those hell-fire and brimstone kind of tunes we really get to rockin' out! Hmmm, how to quantify that... well the drums are NOT mic'd, but we play a couple of tunes where the drummer is really heavy handed and uses a driving beat. The keyboards are cranked too. We also have 4 mic'd singers (and the entire congregation) plus an acoustic/electric guitar. I have no problem cutting through the mix and I'm the only one not going through the house system. I suppose if we had a true electric guitar instead of the acoustic/electric I might need to add another cab... but I doubt it.

I'm not sure I understand the question about the GS112 being bi-ampable... all cabs would be... that's an amp function (if I'm getting the drift of your question).

Don't sweat being picky... you'll know it when you finally get the right rig... it's almost like finding the right woman! :eek:

9. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    What I mean by the GS112 being bi-ampable is that with gallien krueger heads they are designed for their own cabs where they use two power amplifiers in the one head. One for to drive the woofers and one 50 watt amplfier to drive the tweeters.

Your situatuation sounds pretty similar to what it is at my church although my pastor just announced that we are going to be playing louder. If you don't like the loud music we have ear plugs.:D
    On stage me cutting through isn't much of a problem except for the electric guitar (but for the most part he's pretty good) where we have electronic drums and the monitors aren't that good on a small stage.

Now one thing that is going to be happening in the near future is that we are going to be moving into a new building upgrading from the equipment we have now such as new sound board, new monitors, new mics, etc and we may be getting rid of the electronic drums and getting a set of real drums.

were also going to be playing gigs aside from church where I may need more volume.

so you can get a better picture of why I need a versatile amp.

10. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm thinking about adding an additional cab to the setup once we move into the new building.

11. OK... now I understand, and no the GS112 is not bi-ampable in that sense.

Our church also does the outside gig thing... and cut a pretty good CD (another one is in the works), but I'm not actually part of that group. The "house" band differs from the "real" band in two ways... singers and bassists. :(

I really shouldn't complain, when I joined the group the first CD was already in the can... they just needed me because the other bassist couldn't make it to all the services.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you buy... after all, it's the music that counts. :cool:

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm going to post another thread but I'm going to refer to the GK stuff because I'd like to have some more info on thier stuff

:)

Thanks for the help