Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Vintage Ampeg speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveD, Feb 21, 2006.

1. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Maybe someone can help with this: I have a 1967 Ampeg B15 Portaflex, which of course has a single 15 inch speaker. The original speaker was replaced, and now has blown, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get a replica or suitable replacement that would be close the original speaker. A search of the Ampeg site didn't give any guidance, though I may have missed the right area.

Thanks in advance...

SD

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's as good as anything else, with the small amount of power the amp has anything more expensive wouldn't likely be any better anyway.

3. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey, thanks to you both.

"It's as good as anything else, with the small amount of power the amp has anything more expensive wouldn't likely be any better anyway."

My thinking also. Before I got this amp, someone replaced one power tube with a solid state circuit, so it probably has a little more power than the original 30 watts, but not much. I would like to return it to original specs, but that's another issue. I use it only in the studio.

Here's the cat I'm am currently playing with, check out:

www.philbrownguitar.com

Hit the bio link. I am one of three bassists Phil is using right now, and lucky to play with such a great talent.

Thanks again.
    SD

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Someone probably replaced the rectifier tube with a SS device. It would be interesting to A/B it with an original amp, as all indications are that this would have an impact on the sound of the amp.

Also, there are many characteristics of a speaker which affect how well it work with the B-15. Power handling isn't among the most important. It's a very small cabinet for a 15", and you'll need to choose carefully.

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Undoubtably, I'm not aware of a SS replacement for a power tube. The advantage to the SS rectifier is reliability, but a tube rectifier is preferred for it's softening of the power supply, which adds a compression effect.

6. I seem to recall reading in an Ebay listing by Jess Oliver for his own B-15 that "the man" himself used a SS rectifier replacement in his personal amp.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    From what I understand, Ampeg has been using Eminence OEM speakers in their equipment for decades. Perhaps checking with them would yield better results than Ampeg?

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    These used to be pretty readily available. Nothing more than a couple of diodes fitted to a tube base, and packaged in a can.

The SS rectifier will not "sag" as much under heavy load, and as such, a lot of folks that the tube rectifiers give a better distortion. If you play clean, then the SS rectifier should give you a bit more power before breakup sets in.

- Tim

9. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks again for all the great input. I'm new here, but this is a great forum. A tech who worked on this amp said in his opinion the amp sounded a little less "spongy" (his term) than an original. Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now, it's got a great sound to my ears. The heavy EV that someone put in seems like overkill, at least on my back, so maybe the OEM mentioned by jabberwock777 is the ticket. I also agree that the "personality" of the speaker is more important than wattage capability in this case, if you get my meaning.

SD

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The original square magnet CTS driver was junk by today's standards, an EV SRO or EVM would have been a major upgrade. The Eminence listed is plenty for the 40 watts or so you've got to put into it, a premuim driver makes bo sense without at least 200 watts pushing it. If you really want to save some weight get one of the new Eminence DeltaLite II 2515s, it will work just fine and save a few more pounds. They're just becoming available now, try BLT Sound.

11. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm looking at a Weber for my B15n. Ted can get it pretty close to the vintage Jensen specs, with a much more effecient speaker.

http://www.tedweber.com/

Check out the15F150 in the Vintage speaker section. It's about $100.

12. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks BillFitz and JB, I think that covers it. Much appreciation to everyone for all the input.

SD