1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for vintage DOD envelope filter or Marshall Guv'nor in LA county

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleafan7159, Mar 17, 2010.

1. title pretty much sums it up. im visiting LA for spring break and was hoping that i could find one of these pedals. I want to get the same vintage DOD envelope filter that flea used in the early RHCP albums. And fort he Marschall Guv'nor distotion, i understand that the the new one sucks compared to the older one. so thusly im looking for the vinatge one to try to replicate Tim Commerfords tone. If you have any idea where i might be able to pick these up in Los Angeles County, please let me know. thanks

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    You might want to post this in the Wanted section of the Classifieds...

3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    dodfx25 or 25b. Or the older red 545?? I think for the ef pedal will do. Ebay and craigslist will do you well.

I won't go into the myth of the guvnor. =)

4. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    myth?

5. alirazz

alirazz

Jun 30, 2009
    Chambana, IL
    I am also curious to know what this "myth" is .. :)

6. well i dont know exactly which one it is, i just know that its a vintage one that flea used in the late 80's and early 90's on the chilli peppers records. and what is this myth about the guvnor???

Hopefully i can find one of these in person but il try craigslist, but it seems like not that many people list effects on craigslist, send a link if u see one, thks

7. oh wait i just looked it up and the one im thinkin of getting is the dod fx25b

8. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    That shouldn't be a problem to find. Those DOD filters are all over the place. I'm sure there are a bunch on Ebay as we speak.

The Marshall pedal is different. Last I checked they were in the $150-$200 so you better be ready to fork over if you want it. There are probably some better options available. There is a real wealth of threads here talking about Tim C. I would suggest doing some searches to see what some other people have done regarding his tone.

9. yea i went to a GC in covina and they said they had 2 that were sold last week for liek $49 ea. im gonna look around more but i might just end up buying on ebay. about the marshall yea i guess il do some reasearch on timmy c style distotion alternatives but the real thing would be best probably.
    thnks for suggestions

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Tim's distortion doesn't just come from the Guv'nor, so even if you got your hands on an original one, you wouldn't come close to his fuzz tone.

11. yea i know,i read about his setup and i know he modifies everything he uses pretty much but i think the marshall govnore wuld get em close. ive alreaddy gotten close without effects so im pretty sure the guvnor would do me well but if i cant find it or its too expensive then i wont get it i guess... but i still want that env filter badly lol

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Before you hit the modification stage, you have to remember that Tim is running two or three rigs together to get his distortion sound.

13. yea i knew that he is runnin 3 svt's wih clean distorted and mixed tones so yea i realize its hard to exactly duplicate but i just wanna get close.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020