1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for warm flatwound for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Black Sheep, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    I am looking for a warm, darkish flatwound string set. I have tried Chromes which are too bright, and Fender tapewounds, which weren't too bad, but not quite there. Any recommendations? (Using four string jazz fretless, playing jazz and some rock/fusion/mixed-style. Sometimes effects are added (chorus/maybe envelope in future).)

2. john-boro

john-boro

May 8, 2009
    pyramid golds. warm as anything, dark and powerful low end.

3. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Pyramids are kinda pricey. Any other recommendations?

(although, I'll probably have them for a while...)

4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    TI Jazz flats or Pyramid Golds or Labella DTF FS or FM. All seem fairly expensive but are really not. 1) Keep an eye on the classifieds they may come up slightly used for 75% of the price. 2) If you are afraid you may not like them, you can sell them via the TB classifieds.
    3) The literally last forever.

5. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i just put GHS black nylons on my jazz and oh my gosh so warm and full...even more so than the labellas on my p

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep - I have a set on one of my basses and really like them too.

7. You may want to try a set of GHS Precision Flatwounds. They match the description you are looking for.

8. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Lakland Joe Osborn Signature flats

9. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Try Webstrings flats.

10. Fender 9050MLs and a couple of years' playing. Warmer than a just-microwaved Hot Pocket!;)

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    And twice the fat!:D

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've had TI-flats on my fretless P-bass for 4 years.
    They get better with age.
    GHS Tape wound are also good.

13. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    So let's say we're talking about GHS Precision Flats vs. GHS tapewounds. How would you describe the difference between those two?
    (Are the tapewounds flatwound under the tape?)

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    HUGE +1

Dark sounding strings, nice tone and fairly inexpensive. My recommendation for every flats beginner, too!

15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    GHS Precision Flats or the same string with the Lakland logo on it, the Joe Osborn Flats. The perfect flatwound string for me as they have a suppleness to the feel that I really like without being as light as the TI. They have a definite NOTE to them, instead of the indistinct thud of the classic LaBella sound, but they still sound like a traditional flatwound string (the TI's are GREAT strings, but it's not at all what I think of when I think of classic flatwound sounds).

My fretted P has had the same set on for at least four years, and that set was off and on it for a few more years before that. The fretless mongrel has had a set since June 2009 and they sound perfect for a warm dense sound while. Think of the sound Freebo gets on the earlies Bonnie Raitt albums as a reference.

John

16. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    I am definitely leaning toward trying the Precision flats. There were some things about the Fender tapewounds that I did not like; they had somewhat of an upright tone - open and a little punchy, but they did not have the focus or warmth that I would like. (Part of the issue may be the EMG active J p'ups that I have on the bass, very bright and a challenge to control sometimes.)

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Sadowsky flats on my fretless 5 string SX jazz are the sheeeeeet. Warm, fat, defined. With the 70's space bridge pickup they are well defined for those fast finger funk lines.

18. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've had the same set of TIs on my fretless 5-string for 8 years. IMO TIs are perfect for that app - they're warm and soft but they also have a nice "vocal" quality that really works for what I like to do with fretless.

IME stainless flats (Fender, Chromes, Precisions) feel stiffer and have a metallic "edge" I'm not looking for. IME Pyramids are indeed warm but maybe a little too dark and old-school for fretless for me.

Edit: out of all the non-nickel flats I've tried, the precisions are indeed the most supple. 1/2 the price of TIs - definitely worth a shot.

19. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    TI.
    That's TI period

20. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    This "edge" is what I did not care for with the Chromes. I think I didn't notice that the GHS Precisions are also stainless. I believe I would prefer nickle for the fretless.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020