Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking For Warwick Knowledge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Looking to purchase a new or used thumb bolt-on. A couple of questions first. I noticed that on some older thumbs that the two pickups are at an angle, close together, near the bridge. On newer ones, I noticed that one is straight and centered between the neck and bridge, and the other is slanted, close to the bridge. Am I just confused, or is there a reason for this? Does one setup sound better than the other? Any help appreciated.

Also, anything I should look for in a used thumb? (known trouble spots)

2. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    FYI...I have that bass for sale in the for sale forum.

Awesome bass. I just have too many warwicks.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    4-string Thumbs have the neck pu vertical, but the bridge pu is sloped towards the bridge on the bass side
    5&6-strings have both of the pus sloped towards bridge.

the slope towards the bridge at the bass side is to get more overtones - growl on deeper, and mellower and clearer on higher notes

The Thumb is heavy (but my Corvette 6 is even heavier :p ), and has some balance issues, especially the 5&6-strings have neckdive. A good strap can help a lot, though.
    Used Thumbs may have pots that are cracking; some people say that the MEC pre is not good enough, so they change it, but i can make do with mine - especially since i do a lot in passive