1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for white MM p'up covers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doctorwholittle, Aug 17, 2012.

1. doctorwholittle

doctorwholittle

Oct 27, 2011
    Greetings, all --

Haven't posted here in a while (or visited), so pardon me if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I'm looking to find some white covers for a MM 5-string p'up. I seem to recall a few years ago, these things were all over eBay, and from different sellers / stores, but for the life of me, I can't find any of them anywhere now. I have no problem using super-strong paint on the regular black ones and then dullcoating the daylights out of them as a last resort, but I'd prefer to have the genuine articles if at all possible.

Please feel free to e-mail me offlist if you prefer, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. BluemoonIbanez

BluemoonIbanez

Aug 14, 2012
    They sell black ones, maybe you could sand blast it and paint it white? I haven't found any white ones either

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The problem with your project is that the covers are epoxied onto the pickups on the MM 5 strings. So no they don't come off.
    Only the 4 string covers come off.

4. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Yeah, I've also heard that those covers don't come off. You can get a hole punch, and punch small dots from masking tape, and cover all the dots. It may take a while, but hell, it's cheap. For paint, use Krylon Fusion paint for plastics . . . I wanted cream, so I used Krylon "Buttercream" paint. Adheres well . . . looks perfect . . .
    I haven't found the covers either . . .

5. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

A few years back I purchased SR5 pickup covers directly from Ernie Ball/Musicman.

I don't know if their pickup assembly methods have changed, but at that time the pickup covers were hot glued in place.

If you used, for instance, an X-Acto knife and were Very Careful you could cut through the glue and separate the cover from the pickup.