1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for work in a Studio.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jimmyjames77, Oct 4, 2010.

1. jimmyjames77

jimmyjames77 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    Hey peoples. I'm in Chicago and looking for work in a recording studio, paid or unpaid. Does any one have any advice or know of any studios that need help?
    Also I'm trying to compile a list of all the Legit studios in Chicago, rock preferably. Can anyone give me a few names?
    I have many years of experience in the studio mixing, editing, and recording. I'm also a musician.:bassist:
    Thanks,
    Jim.

2. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Why would you want unpaid work?

3. jimmyjames77

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    Mostly to learn, but also to gain a reputation and credentials so that I can eventually be on my own. Of course paid is best though.

4. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I´ll pass on the advice I was given when in the same situation... Basically you have 2 choices:

1. Make recordings with friends and people you know, and slowly build up your rep. Start a studio (small one will do at first) and gather experience. Prepare to work for little to no money. Hope that somebody you´ve recorded makes it big time... Learn to say "no" (every once in a while somebody proposes a bad deal. You don´t have to succumb to everything.).

This is how i did it. Recorded friends and occasional strangers. My studio has since evolved from very small to quite big, during the 10 years... The business is OK at the moment.

2. Ask around at professional studios. Prepare to make lots of coffee, and develop good cleaning skills. Hope that somebody recognizes you, and offers you a task at a session.

I skipped this, because I realised that *I* COULDN´T MAKE IT HAPPEN. It´s all up to luck and other people.

Note: Record production is all about the people, so sharpen your social skills, if applicable.

5. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    The only reason I asked is because you said you already have years of experience. There is a philosophy that you should charge what you're worth, so to speak. If you'll work for nothing, then the perception is that that is what your experience and ability are worth.

6. jimmyjames77

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    I get what you are saying, and I agree. I was thinking more along the lines of if it were a "big" studio then maybe I'd work for free.
    As for what Kalle74 said I fully agree. That is actually what my plan was as far as starting small and doing affordable work, at first, to get a rep.
    Thanks guys,
    Jim.

7. jimmyjames77

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    bump

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021