Looking for Yorkville gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mithrandir, Nov 29, 2004.

1. mithrandir

Nov 11, 2004
    I am in the market for an XS 400 head and an XC210 cabinet. Does any one have these items for sale? The best geographical area would be upstate NY or Toronto to Montreal corridor. Thought I would check the forum before heading to the music store.
  2. I'm wondering where I can find it also, because i went to Guitar center the other day, basically asked if they had it (and was told that it was most likely crap and probably on the same level as behringer because it's considered a no name brand) and couldn't find it. so now, I'm considering ordering from www.musiciansfriend.com (i'm not into going on a trek for gear). how's musician's friend's service (good or bad experiences)?? also, how does yorkville compare to swr or ampeg?? which do you like better??
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    you'll find a lot of people like yorkville, their gear is good, their tone is up to you, do you like it or not, I like it, at least as far as my Traynor is concerned. Go to yorkville's website, www.yorkville.com and check their site for dealers near you then go try the gear out. That's the best way to do it. Musiciansfriend is allright, the service is good but you can do better pricewise than them. Try to buy from smaller music stores if you can, support the little guys.
  4. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
  5. You can get Yorkville equipment at any Long & McQuade's store in the Toronto area. They have a very close relationship to say the least ;)

I personally have the XS400H head and it sounds absolutely amazing! Forget what you heard from people who have never even tried the equipment.

- Andrew
  6. mithrandir

Nov 11, 2004
    I guess I should have been clear. I am looking to see if any one has a used Yorkville XS 400 they want to part with. I borrowed an older BM 400 and now my buddy wants to off load it, but I was thinking that perhaps it may be in my best interest to purchase the new version. Is there really a major difference between the two. I am just worried about shelling out the bucks for the old BM 400 then wishing I had bought the XS series.
  7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I can't sell you one but I've heard the new XS series is far superior to the BM's. Just someone else's opinion I figured I'd pass along, good luck.
  8. I've never seen or used a "bm" but I did have a B400 before my XS400H and I can say the "XS" is vastly superior in sound. They're completely different classes.

- Andrew
  9. well, for the guy that mentioned tone...I like a somewhat bright tone. i can't tell you EXACTLY what settings i use because my amp's knobs aren't really set that well anymore, but i can say that my bass is round 12 or 1 o'clock, mids at 10 or 11, and treble maxed out (it's not a really bright combo....a peavey tko 65). so in general, a pretty clean sound with some thump to it.
    oh, don't get me wrong, i support the little people, and i'd love em more if they gave info on price!! it's suprising that out of all the stores in new jersey that Yorkville says it's linked to, that none of them give a hint as to what models they sell, and if they do, along with price, then it's way over what i want to spend :rollno: . I don't want to travel rediculous distances (hence the term "trek") just to try out gear that's all. there's nothing around my town.
    Is it smart to order from musiciansfriend, try it out for a few weeks and then send it back so long as the gear doesn't suffer any problems? It doesn't really seem like I have much more choice, and I'm pretty sure anything'll sound better than what i got right now.

besides, it got good reviews and was claimed to be really versatile from harmony central :D
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Get the XS. I just got an XS400 tonight (finally came in to the store!) and I love it a lot.

Scorpion: Yorkville is head and shoulders above Behringer. The sound on Yorkville gear is great, and the reliability is fantastic. And hey -- at least you're not supporting a company that steals other companies' designs right down to the circuit boards.
  11. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
  12. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I have the BM400 head into Ampeg SLN410, through a SANSAMP BDDI.

Play out with it regulary (twice a month) and its great! I thought of the XS800 thats out now and tried one in the LMQ up here but it didn't do anything for me that my current rig isn't.

Very happy Yorkie owner. (Also own XC100 combo for smaller clubs. Through the SANSAMP, it's a little tank!) :bassist:
  13. kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    I've got an OLD Yorkville bloc250 with a single 15". This thing has the most room-filling tone . Very heavy in the mids, powerful EQ, and loads of headroom, this amp stands loud and proud even in a loud funk-rock band with two guitarists,horns etc. It is rather beat up, I had to replace the speaker lead, but other than that, it is a real workhorse .