Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking fot a hi-fi bass speaker cabinet,,,?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FumandoV, Nov 16, 2004.

1. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Which hi-fi cab are there that are good and punchy?

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    SWR and GK would be my top two choices.

3. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    But what is hi-fi? :bassist:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Euphonic Audio
    Accugroove
    Glockenklang
    BagEnd Coax
    SWR
    Eden
    Epifani
    Bergantino
    Aguilar

Any of the above brands would fill the bill. Have fun.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Acme, Euphonic Audio, and Accugroove would be my best suggestions, though I'm sure there are others that would fit the bill.

I wouldn't consider Eden and SWR hi-fi; they sound too scooped. That's not a bad thing, if it gives the sound you want--it's just not really hi-fi, which should mean reproducing the input with as little change as possible.

7. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Coming from the days before those other cabs existed, the SWR then the Eden were Hi-Fi in that they were full range cabinets with internal cross overs and tweeters/horns.
    (Before this you had to biamp or triamp to get really full range)

So HiFi though not necessarily Flat. (But definitely punchy which was one of the requirements)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what is available where you are in PR?
    inquiring minds want to know

9. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    You could buy my EA VL210. It's hi-fi, like an altec monitor, but with cajones... :smug:

10. There is no way to decide which flavor is right for you. What are you looking for size, price and weight wise. What kind of bass and amplifier? Kind of music?

The Eden Coax cabs(thier lower lines to compliment combos) are not scooped to my ears. They are linear, yet warm. I like the Eden coloration, if that is what I am hearing.

11. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Here in Puerto Rico we get every cab there is eden,swr, mesa, it just costs a little more $$$. I just played a concert with a swr megoliath and the sound just blew me away. What I dont remember is the head I was using. Anyways..... :bassist:

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    We have the same brands available here in Norway. I didn't like them, and ordered an AccuGroove Tri-112L cab. It is very good. I'd call it High Fidelity, with Gobs of Punch. Lovely.

13. well if you are not sold on any one brand you can save a tone of money buying a quality cab direct.

Dr. Bass

Schroeder

I am sure the shipping to PR would be reasonable.

14. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    As a comment to Angel....
    Yes, buying direct can save you money, that is if the vendor will sell direct. This kind of transaction is usually dependent on the type of agreement the manufacturer has with it's dealer(s). Often times manufacturers will not sell to a customer direct because it violates an agreement with their dealer. The dealer has to make a profit to stay in business, and they wouldn't like it too much if a vendor undercut their sales by selling direct. I'm in retail and have had the experiences of that exact thing and I know what it's all about. However, I think there is two things everyone in the buying market must keep in mind, as well as the vendors. First, if there is no viable place to go to try the product, for example, there is no dealer for the product you are considering within a 150-200 mile radius (and that's a pretty big radius), then I feel that there is sometimes an instance where the manufacturer should have that option. The only thing with that is that most manufacturers will not allow returns, so bear that in mind. Second, salesperson loyalty. If the customer receives good customer service from the salesman/store/website, and they are specifically speaking about the the same product, then you should buy the product from the person who is helping you. In my retail experience, nothing sucks more than someone you've helped buying the product somewhere else, or from someone else. That has happened to me alot, either where I'll suggest a certain item and the customer will buy it someplace else, or where they'll come back and buy it from a different salesman, which means that salesman gets the comission. There is one instance I feel where that is okay, however, where the salesman is specifically trying to sell one product instead of the one the customer is really interested in. Then in fact the salesman did not win the sale, because that's not the product that they were trying to sell.... So I request to all shoppers out there, be loyal to your salesman, if they treat you right and do the right thing for you, do the right thing for them, and buy it from the person who sold you on it.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Hey Dave - Avatar, Dr Bass & Schroeder (I think) all sell direct with no dealer channel. Where I live, I have more gear in my house and studio than my local dealer has ... so that local dealer thing kind of depends on actually having one that has a clue ...

I'd add the now discontinued but sometimes available used Music Man 2 x 12 to the hi-fi list ...

16. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Acme also sells direct and is quite cheap compared to SWR, Eden, etc.. Dr Bass and Avatar are also less expensive, although not usually considered as "hi-fi". Schroeders are a bit more expensive but still a very good bargain when compared to the "big names."

I can't speak about Avatar and Dr. Bass, but I would prefer both Schroeder and Acme cabs to the "big name guys" even if they cost just as much.

Note to Andy Lewis (maker of Acme) and Jorg Schroeder: I hope you guys weren't reading the above paragraph! :D ;)

17. Schroeders are avalable through several dealers as indicated on the site.

thanks

Jorg

18. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I guess you were reading!

As as I said before in another thread: Whether you buy directly from them or from a dealer, the small manufacturers often provide not only a competitive price for quality (in my opinion often surpassing the quality of the "big guys" at a lower price), but the service is usually far better and more personal and they really look at feedback from their customers.

Jorg Schroeder is a perfect example of this:

He's reading this thread and responding to it. Could you imagine the CEO of Fender doing that? ;)

19. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have many cabs, Glockenklang , Acme, Ampeg, SWR even Glockenklang (Schroeder is coming). So far I think Glockenklang is the finest then come Wayne Jones. Glcokenklang ( Bassline series) is very smooth and refine, tight and punchy. When you hook it up with Glock Bass Art you can hear every note in detail without colouring. If I play fretless or EUB I can hear clearly if I make just a little bit out of tune also if your electric fretted bass is just cents out of tune.
    Acme is not too bad but I still consider it 'Rough' while SWR treble is harsh.
    Second is Wayne Jones which is fine too but need a lot of power.
    If you are looking for studio kind of bass monitor Glock or WJ is the way to go( I do not know if WJ is still making them).
    For live Concert I think you donot need the Hi Fi one or do you?
    By the way I am ordering Glock again for my Concert Hall. :D