1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking good, sounding great!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Swampish, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    View attachment 2978355 View attachment 2978356 I just swapped out the bridge on my 2002 MIM Fender Jazz for a Fender Hi Mass Badass bridge. Complete disclosure, I loved the way it looked and that hooked me in. Yes, I did read the forums about the sonic differences which ranged from "Psycho sustain" to "meh..." to "absolutely no discernible difference", but I just loved the look versus the plain bent metal plate.

OK, so I install, do intonations (they were almost bang on right out of the package) and play...I was totally enthralled by the perceived difference in everything from slightly higher action (which I actually like), to, yes, seemingly more sustain and perhaps a slightly more aggressive tone.

My question is, am I reacting to how cool I think it looks or is there a legit beneficial difference? Furthermore, when we mod something for purely aesthetic reasons, does our mind trick us into thinking it sounds better? Kind of like when you get a car wash, for some reason, it seems that the car runs better despite absolutely no mechanical alterations having been done. Lastly, does a cooler looking bass make you want to play better? Could that be part of the equation?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Now with 100% Ersatzin! (The placebo effect is real, so is subjectivity, your question is unanswerable by anyone but you.) ;)

ahc, Matthew_84, el murdoque and 4 others like this.
  3. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Mmmm....you had me at Ersatzin! You're right of course and in all honesty, I think that hunk of wood assembled south of our southern neighbour is truly worthy of the gods (but they can't have it). Have you ever fallen victim to this placebo effect of which you speak (talking bass, of course, not sugar pills that cured what ailed ya).

McG likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    More than likely. ;)

Old Blastard, Swampish and McG like this.
  5. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    With your quasi-psycho-medical analysis I feel more strongly than ever that a nice looking instrument is inspiring. For example, I am really NOT a fan of the "road worn" look. I much prefer a bass that is pristine. Granted the wear, if it's earned, not simulated, has got a warm and maybe street cred feel to it, but I like the look of a bass with glistening chrome bits and an intact finish. Whatever your preference, I also believe that playing a bass that is aesthetically appealing to the player can give them an extra shot of motivation at the playing level. I wish we had a true bass psychologist at our disposal, though I suppose affable sociopath comes close...

Jimmy4string and MrLenny1 like this.
  6. Totally true, it will sound better with a high mass, shiny chrome bridge...and my car always looks great, runs better and has a bit more power whenever I've just washed it.

7. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    So, like, if this isn't proof, I don't know what is.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    It is definitely/maybe both a real and quasi impact and change on tone, sustain and feel. At any point have you felt compelled to utter 'for days' , 'cuts through the mix' or 'like butter' as a result? :);)

Plectrum72, Swampish and Bass Man Dan like this.
  9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Another indicator would be your band mates demanding you play 'that bass'.

Old Blastard and Swampish like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :roflmao: Band mates will ask you only to bring that bass, when you change the colour!

Obviously the "red one" sounds better than the "white one".... :laugh:

Wise(b)ass

JRA and Swampish like this.
  11. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Hipshot ''A'' Bridge... Better sound? No. Sex appeal? She's a beauty.
    Better sustain? Yes. Stay in tune better? -Oh yeah. Within a couple of cents, very minor tweaks. We're talking 'bout a 2014 MIM Fender jazz with medium Chromes and stock tuners.

Swampish likes this.
  12. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    You know me so well...why do I feel shame and pride all at the same time?

Old Blastard and pudgychef like this.
  13. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Does a smack on the butt by your singer count or should I just be worried?

Old Blastard and pudgychef like this.
  14. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    and....your point being?

15. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    I was seriously considering the hipshot in black, but it seemed like it would go right to the edge of the body. Wasn't sure, so I played it a bit safer with the Fender, but the hipshot is sweet!

16. I'm a true bass psychologist, so to answer your question: How do you feel about it?

17. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Again, I think this is a both! ;)

MattZilla and Swampish like this.
  18. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    HaHa..I hear you...I am already ordering a Hipshot or Babicz replacement for a Jack Casady bass I won't see for three more months...

19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    I changed from fretted to fretless (the "red one" is my fretless :D)

Just don' t expect anybody else, but yourself to get the difference,
    when you change or mod your bass!

Even when it 's like "day and night" for you!

Wise(b)ass

JRA likes this.
  20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Is she hot? :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Yes = counts :D

No = forget it :roflmao:

Wise

JRA and Swampish like this.