1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking into a 5 string P bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xjeremiahx, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Lakland Skyline 55-64

32 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Fender American Standard P 5

44 vote(s)
    49.4%
  3. Other - please specify

13 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    Alright TB, come to my rescue here.

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a 5 string P in the next month or so. 2 contenders right now are the Fender american 5er, and the Lakland Skyline 55-64...but I'm open to other options(that GC carries for $$ reasons) if they're out there...

Right now I'm playing my SR5 and I have been for almost 8 years now. She's my baby and I'll never get rid of her, I just think it's time I add a P to the mix. Currently running a Sunn 300t, SWR Megoliath, a Rat, Memory Boy & BBE Sonic Maximizer. I likes it dirty & loud.

So...pros & cons on the basses I talked about? Build quality of the Skyline stuff vs the Fender? Price on the skyline is real nice, but one thing that scares me about the Lakland is the neck width @ the final fret...it's almost .75 inches wider than my SR5(what I'm used to). Is it going to kill me? It's also 35 inch scale, as listed on lakland's site. Do they make it in a 34?

2. I really think the Skyline is the way to go, they're great.
    I don't think they make them in 34" though.

My opinion on things like nut width is that it definitely won't ruin your playing and you will probably get very used to it.

Of course it would be best if you got the chance to A/B them at some music store but I know how hard it can be to find specific basses (Hah, I live in Iceland)

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Other. Fender American P Deluxe 5.

4. It already sounds like you want a Fender Pbass MIA5. I too had an SR5 that I should've never got rid of, and was trying to get more fendery tones at the time. I ended up with a Modulus Funk Unlimited FBJ5. While it isn't a Pbass, it does the Jbass thing and more with a 34" scale and the tighter SR5 spacing I like.

A Lakland is light years away from an SR5 feel (34"scale/spacing) or P (tone, scale length etc...)IMHO.

5. I like Lakland basses and so should you.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Mike Lull makes some awesome P basses.

7. shoutenzan

shoutenzan

Jun 18, 2010
    Japan
    Instead of getting a 5-string (actually I have one I never play) I chose a different path. I tune in fifths, like a cello but an octave lower.

8. Were you going to go used or new? just for the prices ive seen them two basses on new, if you went warmoth and got it set up properly, for roughly the same or a bit under, you could get a closer together string spacing, along with a few other options wood wise you couldnt get from either, if your going used or worried about resale later on, then go for the fender, or the deluxe version someone mentioned, purely cause of not having played a lakland so dont know.

If the warmoth sounds a good idea ill do you a spec for a five string p bass and put it up if you want? keeps me busy haha

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1000 on Mike Lull.

But if you have to buy it from GC....G&L L2500.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Lakland only makes 35" scale basses, AFAIK.

Both are excellent instruments, but I would go for the MIA Fender P5. You said it yourself: "I just think it's time I add a P to the mix." If you want a P, Fender makes 'em. They say Precision right on 'em!

Nut width is really touchy with me. I actually sold my SR5 after quite a number of years because I just never got used to how narrow it was. Loved the sounds - a very versatile bass - but I always felt just a little cramped on it. I'm much happier with a wider neck.

If you like the SR5 spacing, though, I agree w/ MMBongo that you might want to check out a G&L 2500. It's not a P, but being another Leo Fender design you may find it feels pretty familiar right out of the gate. G&Ls are great instruments.

11. Get the Fender. My MIA P5 is awesome in every respect.. tone, playability, looks, etc. I've had it a year and a half and I haven't needed to touch the bridge or truss rod. It still plays as perfectly as it did the day I bought it.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They offer 34" scales on their 5ers now.

13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Fender P 5 is fine bass. I looked for a while and found a used Pbass Deluxe 5 (the version with the big humbucker in the bridge position) fine bass[​IMG]
    This is killing bass and has become my go to bass for most gigs. I mostly use the P pup but it goes quickly into modern snap when you dial in the bridge pup.

14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    How about a Yamaha BB425 ? I just bought one and it seems like a great bass .

006-3.

Way less expensive than anything you are looking at and I'd say it's as good a quality as either the Lakland Skylines I've had and they were very good basses .

15. Do you like 34" or 35" basses? If you have no preference, then the Lakland is without a doubt the way to go, IMHO. If you don't like 35" (and lots of folks don't) then it's the Fender (though I would look at non-Fenders first).

I have a Lakland 5 string P (LOG bass) and a P/J and would not trade them for anything, ever. But I like 35" 5 strings.

Due to bad experiences in the past, I would never, ever buy an MIA P5 sight unseen. I have bought every Lakland I've had sight unseen, and have never been let down.

But it's all about your scale preference.

16. I had the same problem with Lakland after playing the SR5 for years. I wasn't hip to the wider spacing. Try to find the Amer. P Deluxe 5, they're discontinued, but they pop up on the 'bay and here occasionally.

17. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    valenti will make you an awesome p5 and i played a mbass p5 that had tons of mojo.

18. I think the P would be awesome . . . I had a deluxe P 5 and it is a different beast (one i didnt like very much - ymmv) so def try one out first.

fwiw I'm a solid P guy but I love love love my JV - popped 1/4 lb's in it and it kicks!

19. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    I have an American standard P5 and a whole mess of Laklands. I've always liked wide string spacing so take this with a grain of salt as Ive only recently began to not mind the narrow spacing of MM fivers. Theyre both fine p basses and you cant go wrong eith way. I find the neck profile of the Laklands more to my liking and the fretwork is a bit better on the Laklands, they can go a bit lower. Enjoy either bass!