Looking into a Preamp / Poweramp rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mindfire, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Mindfire

Dec 12, 2004
    I'm still pretty much a n00b at all this bass amp stuff, but my brother and my friend have been helping me along in deciding what I should do for my next amp.

I've been looking into getting:
    Ashdown ABM RPM-1 EVO II Preamplifier
    Behringer EP2500 Poweramp

But I need to find a cab that won't be blown up by the PA.

So far, I have an Ashdown 410T Cab in mind, but its 400W, and the PA does from 800W up to 2500W. Also, I don't want to pay too much on this, because in total with the 410T Cab, the price is £1133 and thats a lot for me.

But then there is the question of do I really need a rig like that? I mean I'm not going to be doing massive stage gigs for a while, so maybe I should get a head / cab or just a combo until I need the bigger stuff.

Anyways, some advice on:
    Preamp / Poweramp / Cab stuff would be great, but my price range is about £800.

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Chris -

It's a good thing to have the power be 2x the cab's rating - so pushing a 400w cab with an 800w amp is a good thing.

Pre/Power is a good way to go for 2 reasons: 1) If you decide you want a different sound, you can just swap your pre for another and 2) if you decide you want more or less power, you can just swap out the power.

Downsides? Depending on the power amp, a pre/power setup can weigh more than a head - and even a 3 space rack is bigger than some heads.

IMO, the flexibility is worth it.

But if you are looking for maximum portability, it is hard to beat something like as small and light as a Thunderfunk, Eden 550, Walter Woods or iAmp.

As always, it is best to listen before you buy.
  3. Don't worry if you have more power than you need right now. Just because an amplifier can get too loud doesn't mean that it has too. The extra headroom will keep your sound clean and punchy.

At one time I was running a 900w power amp into a 200w cab with no problems.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what eceryone else said. my poweramp could cook my cabinets if i turned it all the way up, so i dont turn it all the way up. i do have gobs of headroom though, which is always a good thing. Of course, a head is always cool. If you go the head route i would see if you could get one that will put 400 watts into the cab you are using. That means if the 410 you are looking at is 8 ohms, the head should put out 400 watts into 8 ohms, if the 410 is 4 ohms.......you get the picture. No biggie if it's a little less, but if the amp puts out less than 200 watts into your cab you won't be happy in the long run.
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just one comment.
    I had an original model RPM, don't know about the II and maybe mine had issues, but it was picky about power amps. The pre seemed to have very low output. Used it with a Carvin DCM 1000, and the combo was surprisingly weak in volume. The power amp I'd used with other pre's and with a mixer, and it always performed fine. Had to turn the pre volume up quite a bit, and it was tough to get as loud as I needed for high volume applications. Sounded good though, very flexible, I could approximate the tones of half a dozen other amps.

I've head the same thing others have said about the power being higher than the cabs' ratings. Just watch the volume and listen for signs of distress from the speakers. If you get the big rig now, you won't have to buy another amp later when you want to do big shows. You can always pick up a 2X10 or 1X12 cab when you can afford to for playing small shows if carrying around the 4X10 is too much bother.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a gigantic preamp power amp setup with all these doohickeys.

My original setup was a Sansamp RBI preamp and a Peavey PV1500 Power amp. The peavey is heavy... VERY heavy. But together, they sounded great. I now have an 8 space rack setup with a 13 band EQ, wireless, Sansamp RPM, Power conditioner, and compressor on the way. QSC makes some good power amps that are light and stay cool. Once I get the funds, I'm going to sell my peavey and get the QSC.
  7. Mindfire

Dec 12, 2004
    So with the EP2500 PA I can still use the 410?
    If so then thats great, saved me a lot of money.

Also, my bass PODxt is a preamp, so thats also saved me getting a preamp.
  8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Yeah, that would be a good amount of power for a 400w cab. It should work fine.

Just remember when you hear distortion, that it is the speakers you're hearing - and you can blow speakers with that much power. Then again, by the time your 410 is distorting you should be plenty loud.

Go for it! And let us know how it sounds.