1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking into Buying a Bass Trunk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by sibass89, Apr 17, 2006.

1. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've been looking into purchasing a Bass trunk, and have been doing some research. I've pretty much decided on getting the Tuff-lite Standard Trunk. It seems to be the best option. It avoids having to fuss with keys and risking it not getting through checks. Also, it has rave reviews and is only $1850.

Here is the link:

http://www.tuff-lite.com/

Has anybody had experiences with these trunks. I've heard about a lot of problems with Gage trunks (because an Allen Wrench is necessary to open and close it) and the Kolstein cases as well. I'm just looking for some people with experience with these cases.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I was just reading the info from the link and they say "designed to be loaded vertically or horizontally (lying on the back")." The last time I flew with a case, I got to watch it sit vertically, neck down, in a baggage cart before they threw it in the hold. This was in a Gage case and I came out unscathed, but the phrasing on the website has the sound of a disclaimer to me and there is NO WAY that you can guarantee that your bass will be loaded or stored in the "recommended" manner it was "designed" for.

3. I'd like to know if there is any padding on the inside of the front lid. If there is, then it looks like a pretty good deal.

4. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Word on the street is that Tuff Lite is basically a reverse engineered stevenson. So if you like the Stevenson, you'll probably dig the tuff-lite.

5. I bought this case today. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives, but it sounds like it'll be fine. It's almost exactly the same as the Stevenson. It even uses the same molds.

He did mention that he's down to only 2 or 3 cases in stock at the moment, and he won't have any more until September. If you need it before then, you should consider ordering soon.

6. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I have one of these cases. They are really great. It is basically (it is?) the stevenson case.

I did add some padding to the back, but that was easy and probably unnecessary. I also choose to fly it with the case on it.

It's truly a great case.