1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking into buying an Ampeg SVT classic 300 head. Need info!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by descendent22, Jul 23, 2018.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I'be probably posted 100x throughout the last year and a half asking questions about different heads and preAmps, describing the tone I seek and anything in that nature. I'm very grateful for Guitar Centers 45 day return policy ecause ive used it over and over. With that said once again I'm returning gear and looking for something else until I get it.

I love Ampeg and I'm trying to stay with Ampeg. I have a Ampeg SVT classic 610 HLF cab. I'm considering buying the SVT classic 300 tube Watt head. I've looked on YouTube and read reviews. When you buy something that you can't test you have to go based off of that. I've read many positive reviews and I know it's a great head anyway. Thing is idk if it's right for me as for as tone. What I'm looking for in tone is booming lows, clean clear highs and good midrange but I also need a bit of grind grit and growl combined. An overdriven sound I guess, but nasally and not really distortion. I notice the gain on the head so that's a plus. Is this head steeping in the right position? Leave info and comments please

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Do you know what version 610 HLF you have? They are usually pretty mid scooped sounding, so getting that tone may be a little difficult with that cab. I think I've heard that the newer version (not sure when) have started to address this, but someone else can confirm.

As for the SVT, that's definitely the right track for the tone you describe. You may still need a pedal to get there unless you're playing really loud. I see your profile lists Rancid as a favorite band. Matt Freeman used an SVT II-Pro on And Out Come the Wolves. My guess it that he used an Ampeg 810 with it, along with some studio magic.

Where in CT are you? If you're in a band, what's the name? My band is based out of Stamford, and I may be persuaded to bring my SVT to an outdoor gig towards the end of August if you wanted to check it out.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    When it comes to Ampeg who ya gonna call? @JimmyM.

lowendrv, wave rider and basscapes like this.
  4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I'd say get the SVT, and sort out your cabs later, not really into Ampeg cabs, to give advice, but I do have a SVT-CL, and I can tell you you'll like it, once you figure out, how to get your tone, a bit of advice, find a tech, who knows the ins & outs of that amp, there's a lotta hacks out there, and spend some coin on getting it looked over, that way you'll get many years of service on that amp .... Oh I'll add, get a rolling head case, makes dealing with the 90 pound beast, a little easier, at the end of the night.

basscapes and JGbassman like this.
  5. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    My 610 HLF is new. I got a sweet CHEAP deal from GC and couldn't pass. I bought it new with a blown speaker. They sold me the amp for 638$ out the door tax included with the replacement speaker.i was using a portaflex 410 before that. And out come the wolves is a great album but its not my favorite rancid album or Matt Freeman tone . "Let's Go" I'm actually looking for more of a Tommy Stinson Tone from when he was in GNR. Stay in touch. If I don't have an SVT by then we'll talk.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you want a little grind at lower volumes, go CL.

descendent22 likes this.
  7. Sounds like you're on the right path. Go for it!

8. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I've had my eye on the V4B for a couple years now. I love the tones they can give you, I love the look. I even played one once at GC and really liked it. I can also have a possible chance of getting the SVT but I have no experience with it and it's 300w compared to the 100w of the v4b. Like I said. I e been real interested in the v4b for a while. Will the 100w be enough?

JimmyM likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It certainly is for me. Got no clue about you :D I've had people tell me it's overkill, I've had people tell me it's not enough for them.

10. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Can you compare it to something?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Micro VR at 8 ohms, maybe.

mbelue likes this.
  12. While I LOVE the gritty tone of a cranked SVT, I can't do the insane SPLs that an CL/810 has to make in order to GET that tone!

It's not that I'm old (so that it's TOO loud. I LOVE IT loud!), it's just the impracticality of running that rig at that SPL in a club or recording situation!*

Having said that, if you are ready, I say go for it! If you have the means ($$$ was my only regret; having the coin to do the full monty and being talked out of one many years ago), just get it!!!

*My substitute is using an SCR-DI pedal with the scramble engaged- when used judiciously with the right "ears", it can get within shouting distance of the SVT's tone.

My DREAM SVT TONE at 26 seconds in (may or may NOT be an SVT, but I've heard it sound like this!)...

dbbltime likes this.
  13. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Or get a new light weight power amp and a SVP Pro preamp.

descendent22 likes this.
  14. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    IMG_0209.JPG
    I got the V4B. I was saving for this one I was eyeing from a GC in OKC. Once I got enough in another week or 2 If it were still available I woulda had to pay 50$ more and pay for shipping. One popped up at a CT guitar center today. I live in CT and I noticed it was 50$ cheaper also. I took the hour drive and bought it. Got a good deal.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    610hlf with it? Yeah, it'll probably be enough :D Enjoy the amp...love mine, although I use the PF-50T a lot more often than the V4B these days.

descendent22 likes this.