Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking into getting a 5 string...Advice needed, sound clips appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gyellow, Feb 8, 2005.

1. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm looking into getting a five string bass soon... The only problem is, I'm not exactly sure what I want, as the music stores in the town where I live don't have anything but 4 string basses, and I've only ever played one five string , a fender mb5.

So I'm gonna have to take a road trip soon to try some, but I want some Idea as to what I should look for.

I'm currently playing an Ibanez sr400 and it plays good, but it's lacking tone... I like the tone of the higher notes, except that they sometimes sound too thin, but the bass and midrange don't sound good at all. I'm looking for something that will retain some of the high end sound, but with growl and more low end definition.

I've been looking at the washburn taurus t25 and really like the looks and the body style, but I'm still wondering about how it would sound and play?

Any advice and sound clips would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Hey there. Interestingly enough, I was going to post something along the same lines. I am Fender 4 player looking to possibly add a 5 stringer. But with so many choices, where do you start? Start off on the cheaper end to practice on and see if I like it, or go out and pick up an F bass on my way into work tonight? So people, where do we start?

fyi, currently playing a mix of real Heavy Metal (ie nothing nu, no drop tuning etc. bands like...Sabbath, Motorhead, Maiden etc...)/ Punk / Hard Rock / and some good ole rock 'n roll

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    pleased with the sound/feel of my new Spector Europe Rebop 5. Good value for the money.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I HIGHLY Reccomend Sadowsky. Quality fit and tone are the very best and their 5 string neck is very comfortable to play.

5. Zombass

Zombass

Feb 8, 2005
    England
    dependin on how much you are willing to spend, you can get a yamaha BB405 for about £290, which was my first 5 string and it is awesome, however you can get a yamaha RBX775 for £400 ish which i the best bass i have ever played