1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking into the Squier VM V jazz bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by makanudo, Jun 7, 2014.

1. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I currently own an Ibanez SR505 pre mid switch model and have owned it for about 6 years and it has been good to me. However I'm currently playing in a metal band that tunes to D standard, the style is kind of a groovey, heavy sound and the bass along with my B7K preamp does a good job but lately I've been feeling like it sounds a little bit weak or "thin". The B string sounds sort of cardboardy or wobbly and I use it quite a lot in my band, so I'm also interested in how the Squier's B string holds up.

Most of the bands or bassists I like or listen to play J or PJ style basses and they have my favorite tones, so the obvious thing would be to get a J bass to get the tone I like. But since I am a college student, getting a new bass will need to get rid of the old one.

Somehow I found out about this bass and so far everything I've read and heard online makes me really interested in getting one. Aside from fret issues and electronics not being that good, it seems like this bass is an incredible bang for buck beast. The Ibanez in question also has a reputation for being a good bang for buck piece of gear, however I feel like it is not for me anymore.

So basically I'm asking for your opinion on the matter, should I start selling the ibby and looking for the SVM or better save up and get a higher quality instrument down the line?

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I played one, natural finish looked great with black block fret inlays, at Guitar Center a few weeks ago and it's an amazing bass for the price...sounds great and feels just right. If you have to have a 5-string bass it's a good choice.
    You might want to check out this before buying though...it's making me think Squire Classic Vibe P bass.
    http://www.talkbass.com/threads/20-bass-shootout.1068501/
    Seriously, you can get the bass you're talking about for a little over $300 and the Classic Vibe P bass for about $350 and both are as good if not better than quite a few more expensive basses.
    My next bass is definitely going to be one of the two.

By the way, there are several VM 5-strings on ebay right now for $300.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014