1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to add another cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jzucker, Apr 6, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm currenly playing through an EA iAmp 800 and EA CXL-112 but I'm looking for a little more bottom end so I was thinking of adding another cab.

Possibly an Aguilar GS112 or 2x10.

Looking in the $500 range.

Thoughts?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    What about a 15" speaker cab? That would definetly get you more bottom end. Adding a 2x10 will give you punch and clarity, but I wouldn't say it would give you more bottom end.

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm worried that the 15 will be mushy.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Then getting another 12 may be the way to go for you then.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Another CXL-112 should do the trick I would think.

6. Rocky55

Rocky55 Supporting Member

And I just happen to have a couple of them!!! AND an NL210.

I originally bought ONE CXL112 and like you, found that it lacked a little in the bottom end (and volume) on some of the stages I played. So I added a second CXL112 and WOW! Then I found this new (demo) NL210 in a closeout sale and bought it. I like the 112/210 combo as it gives me more options. Lately I've been gasing for a Berg NV610 (after playing an SVT rig) so I've been thinking about selling the CXL112s and looking for a Berg. I'm in no rush, so drop me a line if/ you're interested.

Rocky

7. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    Hi Jack! Fancy meeting you here ...

I have a GS210 and GS115.

I think the GS210 is a spectacular cabinet. It's punchy, loud and can handle my 5 string with aplomb. I'm running it with a TFB-550.

8. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I have heard that the SWR 15's are very decent in terms of not being muddy, but I have had very little experience with them in anything other than a shop setting.

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Cool. Thanks Steve. What is it, 60lbs or so?

I didn't know you played bass too?

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I recommend staying with the Aguilar and EA stuff because they have similar speaker sensitivities. Since they are similar, one speaker won't be louder or more overwhelming than the other. On the other hand, a less efficient speaker cabinet, like an Acme would sound pretty quiet compared to the CXL112 that get the same wattage.

From my experience, the NL210 sounds great with the CXL112, as well as the CXL112 in pairs. Unfortunately both cabs take you out of your price range. Another thing to consider is the Wizzy cab. It's cheaper, and even though it's 4 ohms, the iAmp800 should be able to handle a 2 ohm load. It will add some bottom to your sound, while still retaining the qualities of being light and compact.

11. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the comments. The one problem with the wizzy cab is that the 4 ohm cab will "see" more of the output than the 8 ohm cab.

Maybe the Aguilar 2x10 would be the way to go. What do you think of the Avatar cabs? I bought one of their 2x10 neo cabs and did not like it but that may have been the neo speakers...

12. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Does the footprint of the cab make a difference?

The CXL, Wizzy, and NL all stack up nicely. Whereas the GS210 might not. The GS210 is a bigger footprint, so that means that cab will always be on the bottom.

The Avatar 210 is a nice cab, but if you're looking to increase your low-end extension then I don't know if they will help your cause. Those cabs seem to be voiced to be a more punchy cab that accentuates the low mids. The GS210 has the similar punch as most 210 cabs, but because of it's size and porting, it goes a little deeper than many other 2x10s.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    IMO, most of the ones that make real lows will be. I've gigged an iAMP 800 with a CxL-112 and a single 15 cab (EV loaded), and didn't dig it much. You can easily find another CxL-112 for <$500 used if you look around. The iAmp EQ really meshes well with EA cabs, in my experience.

14. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Ultimately, it'd be nice if they stacked but I'm not sure if it's worth an extra $300!

I'll stay away from the avatar if it's low end won't give me whatI want. Thanks again!

15. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    There are some tight 15s around. First that comes to mind is Bag End. I have an old pre-fender SWR Big Ben 1x18. It has a Bag End driver and puts out deep lows with decent midrange punch and is still super tight after all these years. It actually sounds decent by itself - not mushy at all! Someone was selling a couple Bag End 15s in the for sale forum, not sure where it stands. I normally add my 18 to a Goliath Jr 2x10 which overall provides a nice rich, even sound.

From what I've read, Avatar Cabs don't have the super deep low end but provide really powerful lower mids with good punch. If you're worried about mushy and don't want to break the bank, an Avatar 15 may be the way to go? I have a transaction in the works for david meissners CB115-H and CB112-H cabs - it might be another week or so but I'll let you know how they sound! Is Avatar even making 15s these days? I was on their website and didn't see any in the latest line.