1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to add new speaker to my rig, advice please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drifta, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Hey guys, here's a quick run down of my setup.

I got a GK Backline 600 head (300 watt @4 ohm)
    and a backline gk 4x10. The 4x10 is a beast and barely fits in my small subaru, I like the way it sounds, Although I could use a bit more Low End. Problem Is my lil beringher practice combo blew the other day, and I jam @ my buddies place, my house and I jam with another band & gig shows, So this is a bit too much to be hauling a round a 4x10 in the front seat of my car all the time.

so basicaly, I'm looking to add another cab to my setup, I was thinking maybe a 1x12? 2x10? something that isn't too big, would compliment my 4x10 setup when played in full--- But that sounds good enough on its own w/ my BL600 head I can jam with my buddies/practice @ home and then just reserve my 4x10 for when i feel i need it/feel like moving it.

Any suggestions?

Relatively on a budget, <500 preferably.

thanks in advance. Ps. if its any consolation I play Reggae, looking for nice lows and mids.

2. ideally, you could really benefit with a 15 or even a 212, but if you are concerned about size forget it. a 210 should keep your sound, just give you more of it. the problem with adding a 210 is that they are usually 8 ohms while bassist's current 410 is also 8 ohms. this works fine, but your 210 drivers are being pushed twice as hard as the ones in the 410. if you do happen to have a 4 ohm 410, thats great for adding the 8 ohm 210, but then you need an amp that can go down to 2 ohms. also, you dont always have to use two cabs at once, usually the local level bassists go overkill. you could use the smaller for practice and the larger for gigs. yikes, this is a long post. good luck.

3. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Thanks for the post, yeah I knwo a 15 or 2 12's would really bring my sound to full-life, but yeah I need a speaker setup where I can leave my 4x10 and bring the 2x10 or w/e i decide on and my head with me to rehearse/practice/record etc etc.

I believe my 4x10 is a 4 ohm speaker, so what you're saying is I need a 8 ohm 2x10? but my head needs to be 2 ohm? Oh my thats confusing.

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Just continue to use your 410 for gigs by itself. Since your 410 is 4ohms, you can only use it by itself or you will hurt the BL600. Buy an Avatar 112 8 ohm,for hauling to practice or for small gigs. And if you ever sell your 410, then you can buy an Avatar 210 8-ohm, which would compliment the 112 well , and be a good configuration for your BL600 head .

5. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Thank you very much. Thats the kind of awnser i was looking for.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

*edit forgive me, i just looked up the specs on my speaker, i thought it was 4 ohm but i guess i was wrong, Per gk's site IMPEDANCE:8 ohms

I checked out the Avatar speakers, i like their price and i've heard good about them. I like the 1x12 idea. So since my speaker is 8 ohm, I should order another 8 ohm 1x12 and i should be able to use it with my 300 watt bl600 amp correct?

6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    yep, then you have your 4 ohm load, and a small cab for hauling around.

7. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    You couls also look in to a Genz noeX212. It is a 600 watt 212 that is very compact ( I move it in the trunk of a Mitsubishi Eclipse). It sounds great with plenty of bottom and is clear sounding. The 112 is also a great idea but I am not sure you would even hear it if you ran it with your 410. However it would get your head to the 4 ohm minimum to get you full power so it's not a bad thing either way. Going to a 210/12 rig would solve some issues for you and keep the load to an easy thing. JTC you're on the money my friend

8. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Here's another option since you actually have an 8 ohm 4x10. You can get get a 4 ohm 2x10 that you can use alone for smaller gigs. Such a cabinet will have two 8-ohm speakers wired in parallel for the 4 ohms. If you install a series/parallel switch on it, you can use it as either a 4 ohm or 16-ohm cabinet (both 8 ohm speakers in series). If you run that in parallel with your 8 ohm 4x10 you'll present a 5.3 ohm impedance to your amp, and all of the drivers will receive the same amount of power (1/6 of whatever your amp puts out into 5.3 ohms). You'll effectively have a 6x10 in that case.