Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to "assemble" a bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NoNoise, Apr 6, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm not going to ask a bunch of noob questions or anything, but depending on if I'm able to buy a bass I'm looking into (if I do buy it, then this project is pushed back), I'm going to be assembling a bass. I say "assembling," because I'm going to buy the body, neck, and all the hardware and then just put it together. I'm not very experienced, so I would like to find someone that can paint the body and set the neck and bridge up.

So, my first question is: what is a fair price to ask someone to paint the body and to get everything the way it should be with the neck and bridge? My second question is: Is there anyone within 100 miles or so of New Brunswick, NJ with some experience that would like to take on this job? I'm not looking to spend a vast fortune, so I was planning on buying a jazz body from warmoth (or like place), a moses graphite neck, and gather up the rest of the pieces. So, unless the person I hire has a body for a comparable price, I would supply the body.

I want the body to be white (more off-white, not "blind my eyes" white), but the trick is that I want the part of the body around the pickups, under the strings and a little further out to be like a transparent white. So, to try to clarify, it would almost be like a "white-burst" from a transparent white to a solid white only the transparent white would be an oval just around where the pickups are between the neck and bridge. Does this make sense? Thanks for all your help and I apologize for the long post. :smug:

2. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Id say try it yourself... its easier than you think to spray a burst and white should be no diferent than black. Buy a can of white spray paint and try it out on a piece of scrap wood around the same size as the body. Just use thin layers and build up to the effect you want.
    Then get a can of spray poly to topcoat your board. do 2 or 3 of these practise pieces till you feel comfortable and then have at your real body. :hyper:

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'd check out Warmoth, They can provide you with every single piece you need and they'll do the finish too. In the end I'm pretty sure they'll be cheaper than anyone you may find locally if they are capable of doing the job.

4. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I think warmoth will charge about $200 plus the cost of the body, if I read the site right. So, I wasn't sure if $200 was the cheapest I could find. If so, I may try to do it myself. Since, I'm not doing anything too complicated, I may try it myself. First, I'll need to read up on how to do it though ;) I definitely agree that their bodies are the cheapest for the quality, though.

5. If this is your first project, I would suggest buying a finished body. Less hassle for you for Bass #1. Once you have an idea of what you are doing, and a better idea of where you want to go, then buy a blank and paint away for Bass #2. Your local geetar shop should have somebody that will be able to set it up properly.

I built my bass last year, best thing I have done. I have the urge to piece together another one now, and with the little experience that I have, I have a better idea of where to shop, competitive prices, timing etc etc.

Good luck and have fun.

6. As has already been stated above, it's better (you'll learn something) and cheaper if you do it yourself.

However, if you want someone to paint the body, drill the neck and bridge holes - what's the point and what will be acheived? Just go and buy a Squire or other Jazz Bass copy, take it all apart and put it back together.

7. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I see both sides. 1.) I cannot just buy a cheap bass and rebuild it, because it won't have the finish or style I want (no pickguard, flame maple white-burst, as I described above) BUT 2.) I don't want to screw it up, especially if I'm going to pay $250 for the body. I actually have a MIM Jazz right now that I'm going to repaint, but I can't do it until I have a replacement electric that I can use. So, even if I do buy a finished body for this new project, I'll get experience in refinishing my old one. I'm still thinking about it. I don't want to spend $200 to have Warmoth paint my guitar, but I don't want to screw up a body that I spend $240 either :confused:

8. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Okay, so new question: How much would it cost me to paint the body (gloss and all that stuff, too)? I am very noob, so I don't really even know what materials I need. I can look that "the list," but if the cost of materials is close to $100 or over, it may just be better (for my first custom) to have Warmoth paint it. Thanks

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You could take a look over at the often-linked ReRanch and see if their information is helpful. You could also keep an eye on the Warmoth Showcase for a prefinished vintage white body, or find a good unfinished body in their Showcase and have them finish it.

You could also see if an autobody shop or a place that does other small jobs like motorcycle tanks would take the job.

Both reranch an stewmac sell pro finishes in spray cans.