1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking to build a 6 string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SteveBass5, Jan 2, 2018.

1. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hey guys, I figured I would post my question here.
    I would like to build a Six string and I have never done any type of build before.
    I was looking at the Do your self kits but I'm not sure what one would be the best.
    If any of you have any suggestions please share.
    I feel (might be wrong) but the pups and electronics would be sub par.
    I would like to build a passive bass and either use Nordstrand or Aguilar pups.
    I am also a fan of close string spacings. My Carvin lb75 is the most comfy string space and, I would like to have a bridge just like that.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    Steve

2. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    Close string spacings (anything less than 19mm) may need bar or custom pickups.
    You can use individual bridge pieces if you want super custom spacing, but HipShot has a lot of choices (16.5mm to 20mm).
    It may not matter what body you use but the neck/body route has to be perfect. (unless you go thru body/single piece)
    Carey Nordstand custom built my pickups (active FatStacks) to my specifications, but it took a while.

SteveBass5 likes this.