Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to build my own pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beav, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    How reasonable would it be for me to build a pedal that's just like the SD pickup booster for less than the ~$60 it sells for, or can I just find a cheap boost pedal to level out my different bass volumes. I have moderate soldering abilites so the wiring wouldn't be a problem.

2. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    There are quite a few designs floating around out there. If you're up to getting a schematic, sourcing the parts, and putting it together. Can you come in for less than the $60 price tag on the SD SFX-01? You bettcha. Try this thread over at diystompboxes.com to get an idea of what you'ld be getting into. xyllion would be a tremendous help in this department, as would a few others around here who are hip to circuits.

edit Mo'Phat, you beat me to the punch. :D

3. It was easy with Search, Copy and Paste. It's great when you don't have to type...or think too hard. :smug:

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, darn thinking. :rolleyes:

beav2k2 - how into circuits are you? Read that thread I linked too over at diystompboxes.com on SD's Pickup Booster, particularly the 5th post.

Here's a schematic I drew that would get you started -
    [​IMG]
    Anyone else please jump in here if that's way off. It's really just a JFET gain, and a capacitor too attenuate some highs. I'll actually put it together to see how it sounds and post up a revision. The J201 transistor sounds great to my ears, dare I say tube-ish?

Maybe just finding a used graphic EQ pedal would be the thing to do - unless you cannot resist the urge to DIY :cool:

edit The schematic keeps changing....

5. Absolutely no offense intended, Ryan. sorry anyway. :hyper:

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    None taken. After I slept on it ;) I was just reacting like "Hold on man, if someone wasn't sure about an NPN from a JFET, or what Vref means, and started looking around those sites, they'ld probably just be doing one of these ---> :eek: "

BTW, that's pretty much the diffinitive list of sites. Nice.

beav2k2, where'dja go?

Now I wanna know who else around here does the DIY thang...electronically that is.

Side note - I've been registered for over a year and just now noticed that the smilies never load in the same order twice......

7. I'd like to do the DIY thing, but more for rehousing everything I have. It would be nice to make a long strip with buttons, knobs, LED, 1 input, 1 output, 1 power supply, true bypass, but is ALL of my pedals' guts in it. THAT would be sick.

8. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah man, an analog multi fx pedal/brick/thing! Seems to me Analog Mike had a write up and pix once on exactly that, can't find it now. This thing was a monster - 5 or 6 effects in one chassis. Most excellant.

Still no word from beav2k2?

I really should try that circuit I drew, I'm sure there's something that needs changing, maybe the high pass cap value...

edit Updated schematic. -

- revised tone cap value to .001uf and moved it to the front of the circuit.

- increased JFET's drain resistor to 27k to increase gain

- added bypass switching.

Sounds pretty good with a solo'ed bridge J, YMMV depending on pups and other things. Doesn't exactly emulate a humbucker, but the difference with the cap switched in is meatier.

9. I built up the pedals I'm currently using on my board with a buddy. We were able to get them in around $50 each - but there's some caveats. When you buy resisters, caps, etc. you buy them in packages - usually way more than you need for a single project. It starts making sense [ecomonically] when you're doing multiples of the same project, or several projects that use the same parts to get reasonable economies of scale. The big cost factors are good switches, jacks, power supplies and enclosures. The enclosures are by far single most expensive part. I used old NATO ammo cans because I could get 2 or more circuits in each one and they cost around $9. The nice aluminum ones can be $20 or more.

After a soldering iron you'll need a good iron for transfering the circuit to the copper, something to cut the copper with, a drill press [a good one!] to drill out the holes, and tons of patience. It was a lot of fun and my rig not only sounds like no other, but it's got balls to spare. There's a picture in the Music section of the site in my sig.

Happy soldering!