1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to build VERY small cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BroKenSticKs, Oct 12, 2010.

1. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    I've decided i would like to build myself a very small practice setup for my bedroom. I'm only looking for volume equivelent to what you would listen to music at while casually browsing these forums. I'm thinking of going with something like the ehx 22 calibur for my power amp and i want to build myself a very small cab to go with it.

I realize buying a small combo is the most "logical" approach to this but that takes all the fun out of it. I will NEVER be gigging with this so all the common requirements for cutting through/loud enough are not an issue. I just want to make something that sounds good for playing along to tracks and what not.

Any recommendations for speakers for this? I was thinking even a single 10 could be overkill. I usually go for an ampeg like vintage sound. Should a make a mini sealed cab with a 10 or couple 8's? It won't cost much to make so i'm not too worried about trying something a bit weird.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Basslite S2010 in 1 cubic foot.

3. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
  4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I would consider a GK MB200 and the S2010...Has headphone out built-in, MP3 in, and enough volume to actually use in practice if you need to, but small. It sounds like a bass amp.
    I gig and practice with the same 19 pound 1x10" cab...

5. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I'd do a 1x10 similar to the Line 6 LD Studio 110. Killer box size and portability, and great for acoustic gigs too.

6. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    Well i already have a big 800w gig/practice setup so i don't need to fill those requirements. And i usually use my m-audio mobile pre with guitar rig for practicing with headphones. Its not even so much that i need this as its me just thinking this would be fun to make and give me a different way to practice. Not to mention any serious money (which i don't have) spent on gear in the near future is going into effects.

Although i do appreciate the suggestion.;)

It looks like a sealed single 10 would be the way to go.

7. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/acoustinator-nh2008.pdf

I have 2 of these in a ~.5 cuft sealed box driven with a 100 watt acoustic guitar amp and they sound spectacular for finger style. You definitely need to boost the bass and treble though. So if your bass is active or if you have a little eq pedal, I would imagine one of these in a .25 cu ft box would be all you need for practice. They don't have enough highs for slap, but sound really good with effects.

8. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    +1 of buy a line 6 studio 110. I have one that I keep under my desk for a small practice combo, it isn't a bad little combo for being a 24lbs 12" Cube.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well...no one needs it:)

I understand you though. You have some of the stuff already and want to find new uses for it. But these super small 1 pound heads with preamp designed for basses, aux in and headphones out, DI out, and enough power to run an 8x10 cab effectively are just what a lot of us have been waiting for. Oh yea, it was $200 shipped!

This thing is versitle. I also use this during parties to power some outdoor passive speakers since it has the line in interface. I plug the speakers in to this, and stream my phone and I'm done.

On a different note, you might want to look at the classifieds at the 1x10 Yamaha cabs that were on there a couple of days ago. Those are super small, and you wont have to build anything.

Wes

10. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    It wouldn't work if he went with the 22 Caliber as his power amp though, the 22 Cal only does 8 or 16 Ohm loads the Yammy BBT110s are 4 ohms.

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    True. Better go with the s2010...

12. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    See the thing is...

I WANT to build it. My guitar player is building his own cabs right now and i want to start making some with him. I don't need a REAL bass cab so i cant justify building anything big right now. I'm going to build a fancy tolexed case for my rackmount head but i figured it would also be fun to make a mini bass cab. So i'll do both. Then somewhere down the line i'll build something beastly like a 6x12 or something haha.

13. phmike

phmike

Oct 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    A scaled down mini version of the Acoustic 360 but using a single 8 inch speaker (instead of an 18 inch) would be weird/unique -
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702637

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    When I was trying out prototypes at the infamous acoustic USA shop, George had two cute little mini 361s with 10" drivers sitting there. I tried one, but it didn't do anything for me. Don't know what driver was in it.

An intersting idea that might work for practice at home, or just for fun.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Nothing wrong with a project for the fun of it. I agree about S2010 in a small box. Top it off with one of those little GK micro heads, and you'd have a respectable practice / coffeehouse rig.

16. Rock on!

The S2010 is a super easy build, and provides a high level of satisfaction. You can build it from 3/8" baltic birch and have a very solid little cab.

The S2010 doesn't make a lot of noise before it runs out of xmax, but it will do the job.

If you are interested, I will send you the dimensions for a slot port cab for the S2010.

17. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'd be interested in those dimensions as well if you don't mind.

Thanks,

MX

18. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    Very interested. Thank you!

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd like a look too BG! I've got a spare half sheet of Arauco sitting around I'd love to find a use for.

20. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    Another good use for this project will be when my band gets together to practice harmonys. Usually its just accoustic guitar so this will give me something to play bass through during those sessions. Half of the practice for me is singing while playing so i need to be able to play bass. Stoked on this now!