Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to buy ~$3-500 dollar bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain Vegetable, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Captain Vegetable

Captain Vegetable

Jan 11, 2001
    I am a fairly experianced bass player(3 years), but I have never owned my own bass, so now I am heading off to college far away, and I am going to buy one, a four-stringer preferably. I think about 3-5 hundred range would be best, because I still need to buy an amp, not to mention food. I don't want a "beginner" bass or anyhing, I was some quality, that I can play lots of types of music on. Some things I have been considering are the Tobias Toby Deluxe for $250, a Washburn rb-4000 for like 250, which I think might be a misprint because they list like at $1250 and the good ole Ibanez sdgr series like a SR400, which seems nice and the Ibanez EDB500, which I can get for $400. I live in South Dakota, so there is not alot of spare used basses floating around. So I have been cruising ebay, and just surfing around, and any help you could give would be much appreciated. Thanks alot
    Jacob

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    For playing many different styles in music, I doubt you can beat the Fender MIM Jazz Bass. Fits almost every type of music. They're quite cheap, too. As far as quality goes, I don't know... if you're unlucky (like me) it will be quite poorly made, but still play like butter and sound like cream... :D

Oh, and I wouldn't want any of the basses you listed...

3. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Worth checking out on e-bay:

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1403032171

I own this bass. I paid almost $700 for it new. It's got both great tone and playability but remember, it's dangerous buying an instrument you've never played. Hit your local shop and play everything.

4. Again, I will put my recommendation would be the Godin SD. They are very well crafted in Canada with very good materials by a top notch maker. I think the going price in the US probably under $400 - or thereabouts.

Here's a link to the SD specs page:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdbassspecsp.htm

If you look under dealer listings, you can find the nearest Godin dealer to where you are. Unfortunately, it looks like the Dakotas may be the only US states that don't have any Godin dealers! Your other neighbouring states definitely do though.

The MIM Fender is a pretty decent bass also, but if you can swing the extra few bucks, I strongly believe the Godin to be a vastly superior instrument. The workmanship and materials are really excellent. Soundwise, I also found the Godin to be a more solid sounding bass.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Forget the Toby.. Bad Bass..
    I suggest:
    Cort Curbow in 4, 5 , 6 Strings They are all in your price range at Ebay.. or New.. the 4 string at http://www.marsmusic.com (I think its too expensive there)