looking to buy a 6 string, but have some reservations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seequeue, Sep 5, 2005.

1. seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    I'm really looking to expand my playing and my range with a 6 string, but I'm having some troubles:

1) I don't know where I can try out a variety of midrange ($500-$1500 6 string basses are nowhere to be found in any store where I live). Any suggestions on where I can try these out?

2) string spacing will undoubtedly be an issue. I play a wide variety of music, and I want to be able to have the option of slapping and double thumbing. Most of what I do is finger style though, including some very fast 3 finger runs and arpeggiating (a la classical guitar fingerpicking), so I was under the impression that a 17 mm would be the most efficient for this. I'm afraid that a 17 mm spacing would make me unable to play certain slap lines though. What are people's thoughts on this? Better yet, is there a way I can get a bass that's not exorbitantly priced with adjustable string spacing?

Given this, I'm also curious as to what people consider some of the better 6 strings out there (anything up to $2k)

Any help (especially with the string spacing or bass sampling) would be appreciated
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    For $2K, you can get into the luthier ones easily, especially used. Get your paws on EVERYTHING that you can. Where excatly are you from? Seriously, you've a lot of options.
    For slapping, I suck, so I like wide spacing, 18/19mm. I can manage on my Spector though, which is also 17mm.
    Good luck on your hunt!

3. seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    oh yeah, in case anyone is interested, I go to UVA, so I live in charlottesville most of the year, but on breaks or occasionally when I feel like it I go back home to Poughkeepsie NY
    As far as I know there are no music stores with a variety of 6 strings in either place, but maybe someone would know otherwise (or tell me where a place is that would have them, as I'm sure New York City has a variety of good music stores)
    edit: also, what is a typical guitar string spacing for reference (a stratocaster or something)
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    For the $2K range, you should really talk to Matt Schmill at FBB ( www.fbbcustom.com ). Custom builder based in Massachussetts, he'll work with you to get whatever you need. His basses are amazing ......... :cool:
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    How about a Peavey Cirrus? :D

17mm string spacing, 9.5 pounds, very versatile 3 band EQ, and it sounds GREAT all the time.

They're about $3000MSRP, but with the dealer discounts and whatnot, you can probably get a new one for right around 2K.

Or used, you can get a very nice one for under 1K.

But for $2000, of course, you can get a pretty sweet custom bass too...
  6. to be able to slap on 17mm stringspacing is a matter of technique.. you will get a hang of it.. it will feel wierd at first but once you adapt it works well.
    so dont worry about it
  7. stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    I'm going to JMU currently and theres a music shop in town here in harrisonburg that has a washburn six string on display, I played it and its in seemingly very good condition. it was something like $480.
  8. seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    thanks for the info, any more would be appreciated, I know you guys are out there
  9. It sounds weird, but I bought my six string bass without hardly even playing any five string basses. I went out on a limb and bought a rare ebay find. (cheap price and high-end)

It may be just me, but I find slapping easier on a six string bass. :smug: That is also because I learned slapping on this six string bass. If it means anything though, I slap better on it than I can on any 4 or 5 string. And when I say slapping, I mean the whole shibang shibang (Wooten tricks, etc.)

As far as arpeggiation goes, I have no experience in that so I can't help you out on that one.

Keep this in mind: If you really want a six string bass, your mind will force yourself to get good at it. I couldn't play a 5 string worth crap, but after seeing a someone play just how I thought a bass should on a 6-string (House of Blues), I knew I would dedicate myself to the six.
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I am determined to skip 5 and go straight to 6. I just have to find enough scratch for a decent 6er.
  11. seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    yeah that's pretty much my attitude
    I don't want to be limited by range, so I figure I should at least have the range my guitarist has
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just a side topic, do you know Andrew Lyons down at UVA? He's my brother.

Anyway, I've found that narrow string spacing has ne'er been a problem for me, not much slapping going on, but I can still manage.
  13. 1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    dude i did the same thing, Thats how i bought my first child, 1973 rickenbacker 4001, impeccible condition for only $900, I had never played a ric b4 then, but had always digged the sound of geddy lee and cliff burton, so i took a chance (because it was so ****ing cheep for a bass that could go for about 2k :ninja: ). And at first i really didnt like how thin the neck was, but like what some1 up there ^^^ said that you will adapt to it, and just that happened. If u buy something online, even if uve never played it b4, the chances are that you will work with it and learn to love it.

Does any1 know about the 6-string one of these? Johnson Catalyst 6 string

Thanks, good luck on your search.
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I just graduated UVA last year... good on you for being a Wahoo! I also have a Peavey Cirrus 6 that you'd be welcome to try out next time I'm down there (which I think will be later this month actually). If you like, PM me your contact information, and I'll be sure to bring the bass down.

As far as checking out basses in your area, I tried and failed for four years to find any type of local music store that carries high-end basses. I know of three or four shops in the area, but they're all pretty basic and low-end. If you stumble upon any, definitely let me know.
  15. gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    I go to UVA, so I live in charlottesville most of the year, but on breaks or occasionally when I feel like it I go back home to Poughkeepsie NY

I live in VA. I bought my six string from Alpha Music. It's a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 and it play like a dream. :bassist:
    At alpha they gave me the chance to try the large selection of six strings that they had at the time. So the next time your on your way home swing through VA Beach and check out Alpha. :cool:

16. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Mr.6 with headbend, too active to let go! (remove me if this became an illegal ad. see other column in TB