1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to buy a combo for gigging!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodders, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Rodders

Rodders

Nov 13, 2008
    Looking to buy a combo for gigging as buying a seperate head and cab would be unpractical for transporting to and from gigs! Any recommendations as there are not a lot of shops were I can try any out! I`m willing to spend a decent amount of money and I spotted a Phil Jones PJB BG300 Super Flightcase 250 Watt, any comments will be gratefully recieved!

2. check out the new GK MB combos

priced from 299-699 and super light. They've been getting really good reviews on here.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    What type of music and band make-up are you competing with?

4. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    /thread. Those two replies say it all.

KO

5. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Not so fast--Try a Mesa Walkabout combo--should do fine with just about everything you throw at it. GK MB Combos are a great lower cost alternative as well.

6. I highly recommend the Hartke Hy-Drives.

7. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    another pair of votes for both the Mesa Walkabout and the Neo GK's

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive Suspended

For myself i'd not buy a combo to gig with. Most combos, IMHO, have too many design compromises in their construction.

Paul

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I LOVE my GK 1001/210 combo, but it weighs 80 lbs. (comparable to a bag of concrete).
    Very versatile. Has 480 watts @ 4Ω to throw into an extension cab.
    Definitely does the trick. LOUD!
    or just use the combo for small room jazz gigs.

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Usable XLR DI + Kickback....

OR

Consider smaller cabs with a head..

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed. No matter how much power it may provide, where they fall short is on the speakers. Even the Walkabout Scout, which is a fantastic amp, falls short with the single 12" spkr. I would highly suggest looking into a small lightweight head with at least 300-500 watts, and a lightweight cab, such as a neo loaded 2x12, as a bare minimum. Not really all that much more difficult to transport than a big combo amp, but certainly won't let you down in the volume dept.

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    sigh .... we go around and around on this topic all the time :eyebrow:

first: the OP did ask specifically about combos, not your view about combos

second: he did not say what his gigging situation is. Combos work very well for a huge number of working pro players who do not need to blow the doors off of the places they play, and who would be out of a gig if they showed up with a 1000w head and a 4x10.

third: while it's true that the typical practice amp combo can be fairly compromised in its design, there are many pro level combos that can go toe to toe with just about any rig in the market with the possible exception of the true "I used to play arena's without a PA" dinosaurs.

Some perfectly well designed, pro level and totally useful combos that will happily cover many typed of gigs and not require a road crew to load in/out include those from:
    - Markbass
    - GK
    - Mesa
    - Genz
    - Fender
    - Ampeg (yes, the revered B-15 is, in fact, a COMBO!)

good luck to the OP

13. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    IME, if you don't need more than just monitoring volume, the new GK MB-210 combo is a good fit, or possibly the MB-212 if you can find one.

and yes, i own and use and love my MB-210 combo. for smaller gigs. :)

14. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Make sure your combo has a good DI out so you can go direct to the soundboard at the gig or rehearal if you want. Some 8 ohm combos can add another 8 ohm cab without disconnecting the combo speaker(s). I have a nice Genz Benz rig, but I've used my FenderBassman 250 hooked into a sound board on several occassions and it worked great.....actually better than great.

15. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    great point. most of the pro combo's out today have very nice DI's built in. This is a great way to go IMO/IME, small, good sounding, well designed combo for stage monitoring, DI into FOH, and you are good to go.

Unless you need to have a giant stack-o-amps for visual purposes of course, or if you don't have access to a band PA or FOH system.

16. HeyyyyyJoe

HeyyyyyJoe Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nuff said

The new Gallien Krueger MB line is awesome. Tried out the MB210 at GC and I was so close to buying it, but decided to get a rig instead. With the MB210, you can get an extension cab for it if you need more power. I believe it's 350 watts at 8ohms and 500 watts at 4ohms with an extension cab. And they're easy on the back.

17. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1... actually RickenBoogie's suggestion is easier to carry than a combo.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Well said.

19. chipvibe

chipvibe

Mar 5, 2010
    upstate NY
    What's your sound situation? going out a big pa? or at least big subs to the house? How big are your venues? Got big monitors that run a full mix? Or are you trying to fill a room with just your amp (not recommended).

Me, I have a very modest SWR Workingmans 15. Our venue is medium (appx 250 capacity) size. Crown powered 18's, drums and I are usually happy with the mix, we can feel each other, and my bass is clear to him. What more would I need?

I'll stick my neck out here. If you have a small bar band, you are better off spending your money on good subwoofers for you and drums than getting a fancy, overpowered hi-fi bass amp. In rock music, the kick and bass should be ONE.

20. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Whether you'll have PA support or not will make a difference, for sure. I gig with a Walkabout Scout, playing various styles of rock, but I'm always in the PA. The type of music you play will also be a factor. You could definitely cover small to medium rooms with an unsupported Walkabout combo if you're playing jazz or the like, but not so well if you need to keep up with a bunch of metalheads at high volumes. The nice part of having a combo with a removable head is that you can rip it out and throw it on top of a 410 or 212 if you need to.

To address your original question though, I can only parrot my love for the Walkabout. Every bit of praise you read or hear is true.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020