Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to buy a Conklin 7 string and Carvin ......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiger9695, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Conklin 7 string?

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Conklin 8 string

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Carvin 6 string? (all fretless)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. I am looking to invest in a Conklin fretless 7 string as well as a (used) Carvin fretless 6 strin....the Carvin I am getting for a deal, and the Conklin I want beacuse I am getting bored with the 4 & 5 strings. I am no master by all means, just a player looking to expand my creative flow. My Favorite axe is my old faithfull, Ric 4001 which I have owned since 1976...anyone who has either a Carvin-6/fretless or Conklin-7/fretless could comment!!?? Thanks in advance ! :confused:

Y.I.T.B.O.T.P.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, a new conklin 8 string fretless, like you have listed in the poll, is going to cost you _a lot_ more than a 6 string fretless carvin.

on the other hand, a fretless 7 string groove tools conklin will cost around the same price. i'd say go with the conklin groovetools 7.

then again, i have 9 conklin custom 7 and 8 string fretted and fretless basses, so i may be a bit biased. :D

still, though, i've played carvins, and can definitely afford them, and i picked conklins without a second thought - no contest, imo. not that the carvins are bad - they're not, i just think conklin makes the best bass available that i've found.

3. for as I know, you cannot get conklin here in the Netherlands :(

I saw Bill Dickens playing it, I would ove to play it once in my life :)

4. I say you should get the carvin. It has the punch tot he sound that everyone dreams of. I would get one myself but im a fender and yamaha guy. Well what type of stuff do you do? if you do rock music there should be no reason at all that you need to play a high f in rock music. If your doing jazz, the 6 string would be fine. If you are looking for a good Jazz Bass, Get the John Patitucci Yamaha Sig bass. A friend of mines cousin is John Patitucci. We had a conversation one time with him. I had asked him if i ever needed a 7 or 8 string for jazz music he said there should be no reason in hell why you would need to be playing that high for the jazz i play. Get the carvin defintely. good pickups and i love the idea of the active/passive switch on teh p-series

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    DSOTM
    a friend of your's cousin is patucci?

is that like the scene in space balls?

i play high F in rock music....:rolleyes:

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    huh?? how come you're not a Carvin guy then??

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    by the way - i just saw a light jazz band on BET Jazz channel- mostly girls- and a girl playing a Conklin 7 hollowbody- and i mean- she was PLAYING IT!! solos and all- the bass sounded phenomenal!!
    John, do you know who she is??

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Wow -- I can chime in with personal experience on BOTH counts!

I played a Carvin LB76 fretless (with the H50N pickups) for 6 years before I traded it straight up for my Conk GT7F last April. I loved my Carvin and I still say you can't do better for the bucks. We're both thrilled -- the guy who had the 7 decided he'd bit off more than he could chew and LOVES having my old 6 now.

I say you can't go wrong with either one of these basses. The Conk's electronics are a little clearer, but the tones of the two were quite similar nonetheless. I did A/B the Carvin against a Pedulla Pentabuzz in a store once and honestly detected NO difference between the two set to full bridge PU buzzsaw growl. The Carvin will go deep and smooth, too. Mine was all mahogany including the neck. In fact (I just remembered), you can go hear my Carvin at www.mp3.com/muellergroup . All of the songs there except "Dance With Maria", "Shadows", and "Bata" were done on that bass.

But I'm having a blast with the Conk 7 now -- love that stratosphere for soloing! And even though it's a bolt-on, the neck feels somewhat more solid than the Carvin's did.

I'm happy with my choice, and mind you, I did have the two together for a few days before I let the Carvin go, and of course it was a sad day because I really blossomed as a soloist with that bass. But I wanted that extra string, and I couldn't afford to keep both. IMHO, you can feel comfortable about getting a good-sounding bass whichever you choose, and you can choose it for the configuration you want without compromising anything else.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    this is totally your own call. if it were just for tone, and not string number, i would say the conklin. mostly because i have it, and bill conklin designed a great bass.

my first post with my new name!

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes:

well, i play rock, and i need all 7, and even all 8 at times, of my strings.

or are you going to tell me that i don't? :rolleyes:

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. no i don't. what color was it? i could find out - i'll ask bill. i'm sure he would be pleased to know that one of the hollowbody basses showed up on betjazz.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    john, he is telling you and me and all the other "morons" or "tards" here that we dont need 7 or 8 strings.

geez... what were we thinking? im packing up my GT-7 right now....:rolleyes:

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hello Adrian,the woman playing the 7 string Conklin.is a very good friend of mine.the very talented Joy Julks,(living in LA)and on sax was Sapphron Obois.who is currently touring the caribean.
    JAUQO III-X

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Thanks, Jauqo!
    where have i heard Joy's name before? she had great tone and definitely was at home on the 7 string-
    now im going to break my brain trying to remember where i heard her name before- peace!

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Didn't the thread starter say he was getting both the Carvin (he's getting a good deal on it) and a Conklin??? Just a thought!

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I had a Conklin GT7f for about a month, and I have a fretless and a 6 string Carvin, but not a fretless 6...

I'd say both the Carvins and the Conklin GT's are of similar build quality. Construction is really good on both.
    I'd give the Conklin the edge tone-wise; the Barts are really nice, though some seem to lament the lack of a mid control. I liked the tone though.

Also really liked the wenge/purpleheart neck. Love that combo! The phenolic fingerboard was nice, and I think it probably contributes to the overall tone too. Very bright and sitar-like in the upper registers. Nice bass. I'm regressing though, and a friend of mine lusted after it, so he got it.
    I'd be hard pressed to pass up a 4 or 5 string GTf, though I've heard the pickups may be different?

Carvins are great, and aren't that expensive; I'd definitely recommend a used one. I haven't played a recent 6f from them, so I hesitate to comment there. I do like my '86 fretless 4 though.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Your welcome Adrian.Joy has played with Pharoah Sanders,Sheila E.etc.and She does her fair share of studio work.she also studied for a while with Dominick DePiaza.
    JAUQO III-X

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey jauqo, thanks for the heads-up. do you know if joy has an internet presence anywhere? (webpage, etc.)

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey John whats up!Joy does not have a web address.I have her E-mail.if you like, I could send it to you privately.John the hollowbody 7 she was using,was the natraul colored one Bill had made a few years ago.
    PEACE.
    JAUQO III-X

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i remember that one - it had the airbrushed fretboard, right? that was a really cool bass. is that hers now?