Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to buy a guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Hey guys I am hopeing someone here can help me. I am looking at some inexpensive guitars to work on some chording and how bassline and guitar parts come together. I am wondering if anyone can giuie me in this as I know little about guitar. I found a squire fat strt and an I banez GTO basically the same uitar as the fat strat either for 149.99 are these decent prices? or is there anything else that you can suggest to look at. I also would likt it to keep at my house for when a guitarrist comes over to just pick up and play

2. You can get an Ibanez GAX7 for $129, and it's still a good guitar. Dual humbuckers, 22 fret neck, 4 controls, and a nice body style. Go check out GC or MF.

Rock on
    Eric

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the ibanez is a good option, but i hate thier necks. they are similiar to the necks on their basses, nice and flat. if u play a jazz bass or sumthing similiar u might like this. If not get the fat strat, thats a nice guitar, thats very easy to upgrade.

4. cloudnine

cloudnine

Jan 18, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    Ibanez and Squier both suck. Grab yourself one of the cheaper Gretsch models. I think they go pretty cheap but don't bother getting an Ibanez or Squier because they aren't even guitars IMO.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They suck, huh? And what is your basis for this opinion? How many Squier and Ibanez products have you owned? What problems did you have with them?

It's pretty easy to say something sucks, but if you can't say why, it makes it sound like you think that they suck just because you don't happen to like them.:rolleyes:

6. Gretsch's and squiers/ibanez are like apples/oranges. I dont care how nice of a hollowbody it is, if I want a solid body, Ill take the squier.

7. Oh geez, it was cloudnine that made that rediculous commernt

Ok, you ruined my last thread because you broght up how important image is, if you wanna play rock, a squier or ibanez would be perfect, right? A gretsch would never fit the *image* of a metalhead.

Honestly, you're on your way to getting banned.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You can pick used 80's MIJ Fenders for 300 bucks or under. Awesome value, plus you don't have to worry about your brand new guitar getting scratched. Their prices are going up from now on so snatch yours while you can!

9. Thanks guys. Yeah I have learned thatr i need to take cloudnines suggestions with a grain of salt. I am not sure what i want to do as of right now. I found a Fender 5 string jazz made in america deluxe or something along those lines. For $799 I am not sure if it is a good price but i really like the bas so I may wait and buy that before i buy a guitar. I also asked a friend who happens to be an incredible guitarist to go with me to get a guitar when I go. Thanks for all the input and anyting else you can add is appreciated.

10. im not sure how much it'll set you back, but I'd recommend you get an epifone sg. They play very nicly and sounds excellent concidering the price.

If it's a choice between the fender and the ibanez, go for what ever one holds its value best.