Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking to buy a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by icedearthfan, Dec 7, 2003.

1. icedearthfan

icedearthfan

Dec 7, 2003
    Hey,

Ive been playing bass for about a year and a half, and the bass I have now is really great, but it just isn't giving me the type of tone im wanting. I mainly play metal, and it just dosnt sound right playing along with Iron Maiden or Iced Earth CD's, or even my band.

So, Im wondering what kind of bass I should get to deliever that metal tone I want. The thing is, I have about $350 dollars to spend.

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    it would help to know what kind of bass you currently have and what amp your playing it through

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would look into the ESP LTD line.

4. icedearthfan

icedearthfan

Dec 7, 2003
    right now I have a standard Fender P bass, and my amp is a Crate BX50 DLX

5. icedearthfan

icedearthfan

Dec 7, 2003
    just trying to keep the thread bumped...

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    It is probably the amp creating that sound take your Crate when you try any bass. IHMO

tk

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Might be cheaper upgrading your pickup - Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder might do (Steve Harris plays a P-bass, and the sig series has a Quarter Pouinder in it).

Maybe look into something like a Sansamp BDDI as a tone tweaker too!

Unless you really want to change your bass that is!

8. icedearthfan

icedearthfan

Dec 7, 2003
    well, Id like to get a new bass, just for the sake of having a second bass.

9. Always fun to build the collection, however, that may not solve your stated problem.

If the issue is your amp not being able to achieve the tone you desire, another bass may sound just as bad.