1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to buy a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pete528, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Pete528

Pete528

Aug 13, 2007
    I'm a new bassist, and although I've had a bass for some years, I've just been fooling around all those times and now I want to get serious.

I often have chances to play in shows... I'm not a very good player at all but I can do what is required to play most modern, popular songs now.

Right now I play a very horrible Fender Squier. I am looking for something good, yet affordable to play if I am ever in a show or playing for a public event. The Squier is nice if you are just playing around but when you are say, playing for a wedding, then you want something that sounds a bit better.

Also keep in mind that I'm 16 and my job only pulls in like 50 bucks a week, so that 2,000 dollar guitar is out of the question :crying:

thank you very much for the help! everyone on this site has been great in giving some expert advice

2. Squier Vintage Modified series are very good, definitely a step up from a normal Squier. I have 2 and I'm seriously thinking about adding a third (the fretless Jazz Bass)

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Squier Vintage Modified P bass.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I understand $2000 would be out of the question, but maybe a better estimate of your budget would help get suggestions you can really use. There are lots decent choices in the lower price ranges, but if you can't go above $300 there's no sense giving you a $500 choice.

Having said that, how about a Mexican-made Fender? I had one until about two years ago and I thought it was a great bass. If that's too high for you, maybe try a used one? I've also seen a lot of people here rave about Ibanez's and some low-priced Peavey's.

In fact, used might be a good approach if your budget is low. You'll get a lot more bass for your money that way (well, most likely) and the For Sale Forum here is a great place to get good deals on equpment in good condition. I've bought and sold a few pieces here and have had great luck doing that.

Just out of curiosity, what sucks about your Squier? I have a Squier Strat and it's a very well made guitar. Granted, it's one of the early Japanese models, but it's still not a "real" Fender. One thing that's good to learn early to ignore is "label snobbery". If it plays well, sounds OK, and is reasonably well made then in a lot of cases a decent player should be able to make it work. You'll probably be a lot better than a lot of bassists with much better gear (note my tag line ... ;) )

Anwway, a better estimate of your budget would help give you the right suggestions for your situation.

5. rummy

rummy Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    MIM Fender Jazz.
    If your can swing it, the Highway 1 Jazz.

6. Pete528

Pete528

Aug 13, 2007
    thanks for the help, everyone! i think i have a good idea of what to get.

oh and if there are any additional suggestions, my range is really from 200 to maybe 600 dollars. as i said before my job isn't really that great.

i come from a family of hardcore musicians so i know a bit about guitars, and since my brother and dad both own expensive and nice guitars i can tell a little about tone... and when i went to play with some people once, and i plugged my bass into a massive amp i could tell the tone just sounded... bad. plus the thing just seems to buzz a lot, no matter what. also, i have had some problems with the little port you plug in the cables to connect it to the amp, and my pickups are getting a bit crappy, like they will tard out sometimes.

i'd just like to have another bass, if possible. the squier is not my favorite.