looking to buy equipment in the future

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassPlayerRH, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Alright. My band wants to start recording stuff. We thought the cheapest way to go might be through a computer, and then burn cds right off that. We always play at my drummers house and he has an old computer. REALLY OLD. I'm wondering what would be the cheapest way to start recording. We would probably have to buy a sound card, I'm sure his isn't good. Would it be cheaper to use this computer or buy a small mixer? Please help. Thanks~
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    well.....I would go with a small multitrack harddisk recorder with a biult in CD burner. Try the Fostex Vf-08 or VF-016. Those are nice. If his computer is really old it might not be worth it.
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, if the computer is that old, it's probably not gonna be worth it. Not powerful enough. I mean, I've found even with an 800MHz PC, you can get timing glitches as the like when you try and play back too many audio tracks at once :eek:

I agree with John, go with a DAW like the ones he mentioned.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I pretty much agree with moley and johnalex.
    My computer is a Pentium III 800Mhz with 704MB ram, a Midiman Audiophile 2496 card and a UDMA 133/7200rpm harddisk.

Apart from the ram size and the harddisk it's pretty much the minimum suitable for audio recording.

If the pc is less powerful than that, get a DAW.