1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking to buy first cabs, first head. need help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgheezey, Jul 10, 2012.

1. cgheezey

cgheezey

Jul 10, 2012
    Hi there. I'm looking to buy the loudest possible stuff i can get my hands on for a relatively reasonable price. What i'm thinking of doing is getting two really big cabs with one head that can run them both. is that a smart idea? what should i do?

2. Sure that can work. Here is what we need to know.

Budget?
    style of music being played/tone desired?
    what kind of head are you planing on using?
    Transportation/storage limitations?

3. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    If it's your first amp I really don't recommend to go that big. You can play loud with small rigs as well. I guess with "really big cabs" you mean 8x10s, 4x12s or 2x15s. I would start with a halfstack or a fullstack at max. Size isn't everything!

What style do you play? What sound are you aiming for?

I suggest you try out and see what you like before you buy a rig like that.

And to answer you question. Most big cabs are 4 ohms, so you would need an amp that can handle 2 ohms.

4. #1, if you want spanking booty loud - forget cheap and get out your checkbook or credit card.

5. SVT - 8 with two 1515/66 cabs? :bag::D:ninja:

6. Actually...that might be the way to go :bassist:

7. It would be pretty loud, but probably isnt going to fit into many player's budget...

8. OP - OK, I’m going to assume by “relatively reasonable price” you mean something like this ~

To start get a GK MB800 amp with a fEARful Dually cab if you live in the USA or a Barefaced Super Fifteen cab if you live in the UK - and if/when you need/want to be louder slave a second GK MB800 with another Dually or Super 15.

Loud, tone, lightweight, compact, good looking and affordable.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo