Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to buy My First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Losi Boy, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Losi Boy

Losi Boy

Jul 21, 2005
    I'm looking to buy my frist bass, but need some advice. I can spend up to $600. I've been looking at

Fender
    Warwick
    Dean
    Yamaha
    Ibenez

I like the look of the warwick but not sure what is best bass
    for the money. Looking for something to grow into. Any adcvice
    would help

Thanks
    Rob

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go SX. Those are quality instruments; check the Essex Megathread...and then you can spend the rest on an amp/whatever else you need.

And if you want to grow into it, you could always swap out the pups when you feel its done its time...

3. Losi Boy

Losi Boy

Jul 21, 2005
    Is that better that an a fender bass?

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

$600 will get you a decent bass.

Try out one of the new Yamaha BB series. I just played a BB415 today and was very impressed with the playability and construction.

Or...Godin Freeway 4 is very versatile with a narrow Jazz-type neck, very well built, and lots of sounds in the 2 pickup configuration.

Fender Deluxe Made in Mexico active Jazz. I've seen these for around $599 or less. The one I played a few months ago sounded very good and played real nice.

Don't know the Deans too well. I personally find the Warwick necks quite a handful. The ones I played seemed to have quite a deep profile.

Play a few, and one will "speak" to you.

5. Losi Boy

Losi Boy

Jul 21, 2005
    ok, Hawkeye I'll do that.
    Is the Fender Deluxe Made in Mexico sounds or play different that the p-bass, And how doses it compare to the Yamaha BB.

I think I'll be playing more alterative type of music, like christian alterative/rock/jazz/ect.

What amp would you suggest.

Should I look for Active or Passive.

I'm just learning so any
    help would be great.

Thanks
    Rob

6. If I were you you I would goto all near by stores. And check out what they have. How it feels and I wouldn't spend alot on my first bass if I were you. Honestly my hands are of decent size. And I need a bulky bass. I.e. my first bass was a P-bass clone. Current in use bass a Warwick. Basses I like are allmost all of Leo Fenders designs other than Warwicks. But I like a fat neck bass like Fender, Musicman, G&L, Warwick, ect.

So i'd go and see what fits. After doing so with that fit in mind. I search through pawn shops. To see if there are any deals there. After all the music shops you'll have a good idea on the cost of new / used in your locale. One thing I can tell you is where I live. Local shops beat internet cost by 20% on average. I've done the math and my savings locally even after tax is closer to 33%. Plus I goto play and hear the one I'm actually buying. On that same note there can be "shop worn" equipment locally. Some times a ripp-off, other times drastic price cuts over a minor nick on the back. That only you will know about.

As far as which is best for the type of music you want to play. That all depends on the playing style you develope. Thats why I wouldn't recommend going broke on your first bass. Chances are as you gain technique. You will find a different bass better suited to you needs. And to start with a $600 dollar budget. You'd be better off with a $200 bass w/ a $400 amp. Than to be in a position with a $400 bass you don't like. With a $200 amp thats lacking on your power requirements.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You can probably get a used american fender for 600$.

8. rbernat

rbernat

Jul 18, 2005
    Tracy, CA
    What kind of amp, you ask?
    I bought an SWR 350 head and Goliath II 4x10 cab 10 years ago. Still love it. Kind of expensive, though. I've tried a SWR Workingmans amp - it sounded good and the price is resonable.

9. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.

I totally agree...FWIW

10. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    For my money, I would save another hundred and get a Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass. You can't go wrong there. SX makes a good cheap bass.
    But the previous poster was correct. You have to spend at least that much on an amp, maybe twice as much. There aren't any good cheap amps.
    You won't ever be able to play with a band if you have a crappy amp. It took me years when I first started to afford a good amp, and before that I was suckin'. I grabbed up a SWR SM-400 and original Goliath cab for $1300 back in '89 (still have 'em), back when that was the best amp you could get (how times have changed...).
    What a difference that amp made...much more than any other bass would have made.
    Basses come and go, like girlfriends...good amplifiers stick around for a while.

11. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Here's the route I went to get up and running with a bass rig. I bought a Tradition B-100 bass (made in Asia with a J pickup and a P pickup). It is a passive bass and it cost $200. Got a nice Ritter gig bag for $50 (has a lot of pockets to carry stuff!. Next I bought a Peavey Max 450 head which delivers 450 watts into 2 ohms, 300 watts into 4 ohms, and I think it is about 180 watts into 8 ohms. Got a great price ($350 plus tax). Next I bought an Avatar 212 cabinet for about $280. It is a 4 ohm cabinet so I can get 300 watts into it. If I feel I need more power I can get another 4 ohm cabinet or I could go with a more powerful amp. For now everything seems to work fine. You've got to figure out what you fellow players are going to be using, how loud the drummer is, etc. But in general you are going to need a bass amp with a significantly higher wattage rating than the other instruments. So, in total I've got about $950 invested, not counting cords, straps,etc. This is about the minimum I found for equipment suitable to gig with by buying new. You might be able to go cheaper with used equipment but you give up any warranty and you're buying a pig in a poke as they say.

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'd go with either the Geddy sig or used MIA jazz.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    For $600 I'd recommend a Fender MIM Jazz Bass and a Peavey combo amp - shop used. Or an Ibanez starter pack and a whole bunch of bubble gum. Personally, I'd stay away from the Essex brand.

14. I recommend getting an SX Jazz bass. These basses are very well constructed and also very cheap. I got my bass for about $140 shipped to my house and it plays as good as any Fender Jazz I've played in my 5-6 years of experience.

These people are right when they say spend the money on an amp. Nothing like buying a nice bass and having your sound choked by a lame amp. I would recommend the SWR workingman series, as well as the higher end Fender combo amps. I also played a 200W Genz Benz combo that was very impressive. If you go with the $150 SX bass, you have $450 to spend on an amp. That should give you some options.

15. By the way, SX basses can be bought here. They have great customer service and shipping is fast. Ebay is another place to find them, but usually at the same price.

I bought the SJB62MG.

16. Losi Boy

Losi Boy

Jul 21, 2005
    Thanks everyone, all good advice. I'll be hitting the music stores on Monday.

vapochilled,

thank for your advice, so what bass would you recomend for
    $200-225. I was thinking about a 5-string bass.

Rob

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

If you are going to buy an amp too, then get a good loud amp and an SX bass.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    +1

example
    My setup is dean edge 4 (its a $400 bass but i got it new of eBay for $190... my guess is you can find that bass for $200 used) and decent setup for cab and head... (new head is coming soon so it will be mesa m2000/mpulse600 or bass 400+ and 4x10 mesa cab).

As of now (or after i get my head) i really don’t need any upgrades so this is setup fits me... With head and cab you can usually work out sound you like by tuning it a bit so that’s not huge problem, plus with those things I think you kind of know what sound you want before you start playing…I would say choosing of “perfect” head/cab will come around after you choose your “perfect bass”.

So..
    I really wouldn’t mind another bass that is jazzier and deeper tone but problem is... you won’t know what kind of bass you will want until you find your style and really learn how to play.

Once you know how to play even a little you will find out for yourself which bass fits you the best... Tone, feeling, comfort, etc etc etc... Then when you know how to play and will be figure out what you want you can spend big money on your bass. Its always good to have 2 basses for shows and stuff:)

oh and deans are pretty solid basses for not too much… I like my dean… it really depend on you… go to store and try 4-5 basses you are thinking about and then look for one used like one you like to save some money. 

Hope this helps…

Welcome to the bass world bud:) good choice:)
    Cheers

19. Losi Boy

Losi Boy

Jul 21, 2005
    I friend of mine has a squire p-bass that I can use until I figure out
    what I want. Starting my lessons this week. All I need for right now is a good practice amp. How much should I spend on one? What brand? How many amps?

As beginner what should I be practicing. What wed site would be good.

Thanks All for you help.
    Rob

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd go with a used USA Fender. Either a P or a J, whichever you prefer the feel of. Despite all the props the SX get here on Talkbass, I've played a few and have been unimpressed with them. They are generally very heavy, and look like, well, a $100 bass.