1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to buy my first proper amp on a budget. ADVICE MUCH NEEDED.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Damien.kal, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Damien.kal

Damien.kal

Oct 8, 2010
    I'm in highschool and I've been playing bass for a few years now. I have a Legend P bass. You know one of the ones you get with those cheap starter packs. It also came with a small practise amp which is okay for it's purpose.

But I've gotten to a point where I feel like I need to get a bigger and better amp for better sound. However I'm on a budget atm and I only really need an amp around 100-200 watt range. Possibly even lower on the power. Definately a combo amp, I can't afford to get a head and cab.

I have about $500 australian dollars to spend. Around that mark at least, I could maybe cash out a little more. (for US readers $500 is bout $490 at current exchange rates, probably will drop down to around $450).

I'm mainly a funk jazz sorta player. I definately don't want a amp for metal.

Any advices on brands and amps would be much appreciated.

Side note: I do have a pretty average bass, should I be looking to upgrade my bass first? or stick to upgrading amp first?
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. A great bass through a crappy amp will still sound crappy.

Check out the Gallien-Krueger combos. The MB115 comes in at about $400 USD, and is 200W. Check some reviews on here, the GK Microbass combos are well loved.

3. Buy used if possible. Thay way you can save at least a third, and/or get something that would otherwise be out of your price range.

4. +1 This could put a MB210 or 212 in your range.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021