Looking to by some subs for band. Are these any good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Feb 10, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Peavey RBS-2. I can get a pair for $400. I got the specs from Peavey

But it doesnt tell me what it will sound like or what to expect. It is at a small Mom and Pop shop that doenst have power amps even close to enough power for this.

Anyone know anything about this??

Thanx in advance low enders :bassist:
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Josh/Jeff wasnt sure of which forum. :hyper:
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yeah I thought I would give you some work, but oh well!! :)
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've never heard them in actioin, but this is my impression of the specs:-

* the sensivity spec of 101dB is a bit misleading because they used 2 Volts at 1 meter method. I pulled out th calculator and that equates to 99dB at 1Watt/ 1meter, a more widely accepted method. Maximum SPL with 600w is 127dB so make sure that your top boxes are putting out something similar. You don't want your top boxes to overpower the subs.

* It's a bandpass design, so at some point in the frequency response, it actually gets roughly 3dB more that the 99dB sensitivity rating. The Frequency response chart isn't clear enough for me to determine at what frequency this happens. It's looks like 60Hz or so, good frequency for that extra bit from the kick drum. That's not too bad for a couple of 15's

* It's -10dB at 40Hz. That's not very good, but it's not horrible either. As you know the E string on your bass is 41Hz. So it looks like the sound out front is going to have to be a combination of your stage amp with the PA PA reinforcing it a little bit.

If they're not expensive, I'd consider them.
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

WOW thanx Pete!!

These are to go with a "small" PA setup. The larger places we play have large PA and lights. This is for small gigs where we run our own sound. Small-medium bars.

We will have a 400-500 (200 per side stereo) into some single 12 and horn Yamaha wedges. I also play an Eden/Eden 4-10xlt on stage and turn up loud enough that stage monitors are not necessary or used very little for stage volume. So I guess I do but out some volume from the stage.

They are only $400 US and are in perfect shape. We still need an amp for them. Still piecing the PA together.

We really are looking for Subs that can "pop" and thump the kick drum and support bass guitar somewhat.

Sound good?? :bassist:
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is that $400 for the pair or $400 each.

If it's for the Pair, run down there and buy them before someone else snaps them up.

I'll think they'll work well enough for what you want, but you can never tell until you plug em in and have a go.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Odie one more thing.

I just noticed that the sub contains a full range input that splits the signal. It looks like it sends the lows to the sub, and the highs to the jack outputs that you can connect to your existing (passive) top boxes. In other words, one power amp can power the whole PA, and you won't even need a crossover.

The sub is a 4 ohm cab and it's likely that your top boxes are 8 ohm (please correct me if I'm wrong). If so, the power will be split unevenly. The sub will draw about 70% of the available power. That's not such a bad thing because Subs need more power to achieve the same SPL - refer to my previous post about top boxes often overpowering subs.

In other words, get an amp that's 900w per side. Plug each side into the sub's full range input, then run a speaker cable form the high frequency output to the passive top boxes. Assuming I've got the ohms right, the sub will draw roughly 600W and the the top box will get 300W. It should sound reasonably balanced. It's certainly worth a try. If It doesn't work you can get the second power amp.
  8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Bullet proof stuff. My PA is almost entirely Peavey. I have no doubt it will serve you well. Price is right, snap 'em up.

9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Fixed for ya - you're slippin :)
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Mike- Now that you mention it I remember you used Peavey for PA and really liked it. Hows the lumber bussiness :)

Pete- Wow you da' man!! We are going to put some $$$ on them to hold until some more gig money comes in. Now we have to figure out what to power them with. We have a Yamaha and a Peavey amp to use for mains and monitors. So we will get an amp for just the Subs. Plan on plugging into the "full" range input so the subs will use the built in cross over.

Any recommendations on wattage for the subs, other than min. of 600 Watts RMS per side?? We are either going to get 2 amps and run them each bridged per side or a bigger amp in stereo. Should we go big?

Also anyone know of any ins and out on snakes?
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What are the specs on the 2 amps you've already got? Which one is currently running monitors?
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

We have an old Peavey cs400?? I think it is 400 bridged. We also have some kind of a Yamaha mixer head deal with 2 amps in it. I think it does 300 one way, 200 the other. Or bridged?? Anyway max from it is 600.
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

bump for Pete
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sorry Odie.... I'm back now :)

So you're using the yammy powered mixer (600w)for the FOH top boxes and the peavey for monitors.

If it were me, I'd just get a single amp that's roughly 600w per side. Something like the Yamaha P4500 would work nicely, though I have no idea how much ther are in the US. This is tough because I'm not clued up on the US pricing of amps, so I'll quote Aussie dollars just for reference. The P4500 is a bit over $1,000. I'm presuming you're trying to keep costs down.

Of the cheaper amps I've used, I couldn't fault the Phonic Max 2500 ($899). I used to work for the Aussie distributor. We sold them by the truckload and I don't think we ever had one come back with a problem. It's 750 watts per side though so you may have to turn the gain down a ittle bit, maybe not.

If you want something a little more up-market, the QSC RMX 2450 is a 750w amp you should consider ($1,799). I'm noticing there are more 750w/side amps than 600w/side amps on the market. The only other 600w amp I can find is the QSC PLX 1602 ($1,900). Only $100 more but half the weight so definitely worth a look.