Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to change brand of srings On My L-2000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Harpo61, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I have been using Ernie Ball Hybrad slinkys on My basses for the past few years since my I got my G&L L-2000 I found
    I these strings a little Harsh I want some a little more mello but still some bite. I want to stay with roundwound's
    I was thinking of either thomastik-infield Jazz roundwound
    of powerbass thanks.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The TI jazz rounds might be OK, but they are reeeealy skinny, and would take some getting used to. Pretty low tension also. I personally think Elixirs have a nice mellow sound for rounds.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Maybe some DR Sunbeams?

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've got a L-1000, and I've used GHS Pressurewounds and D'Addario Chromes with good results.

5. I use D'Addario XL's - they are nickel rounds, which are maybe a little less harsh than stainless steel.

Also, try switching the bass to passive and in parallel mode. You may need to turn your amp up a little more than normal, but the tone should be a little less in your face, yet still very punchy. I actually like the way the bass sounds in this mode - it's a little bit more 'organic' sounding.