Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to change from Fodera's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Bass- Yamaha BBG5S (EADGB)
    Combo- Ashdown ABM 500 2-10
    Styles- Slap, Rock, Chords

What I like about the strings-
    Notes ring free in chords, Clear lows, Long life, Even String Tension, Easy to push down on the frets, Sounds great slapping

What i dont like.
    Could use a little more of a thick sound.
    Very grabby and noisy when sliding up and down the neck

I'm thinking about DR Hibeams or Fatbeams
    Thanks

2. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Rotosound.they last forever and have a nice clean ring. i guess some argue they are hard on the frets but i have not had any issues. a set is about $20.
    Keep the Funk alive!!!!! :D
    Who played bass for Kool and the Gang!!!

3. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Ive never tried those. What type are you thinking of? Last time I saw those at the store, i got turned off when I saw more variety than Heinz got sauces.

4. Fatbeams will give you a thick clear sound. Hi-beams are a little easier to play, but sound thinner. Both are very smooth for stainless steel strings.

5. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    try the Dean Markley nickel steel - bright sounding and great for slap and chords.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    just throwing an opinion out there but I really love Fodera strings. DR's sound a bit too harsh/bright for my tastes

7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

How much harder are fatbeams to play than hibeams? I had a set of fatbeams about 2 years ago and I wish I still had them around so i could see theyre playability vis a vis the foderas. I do remember really liking their sound.

This wouldnt be so tough if experimentation with these strings werent such an economic commitment.

To add to the confusion, someone is telling me to go with Elixrs. Apparently theyre clear and fast too. I like fast strings.

8. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    how much do fodera strings cost?

9. Elixir Nanowebs & DR Sunbeams. Both feel great and are well balanced strings (not harshly bright like hi-beams). If you like fast, definetly try the Elixirs, they may take some getting used to but they are slick.

10. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    foderas are under $40 for a five string pack.

If Elixrs can slap, Im going that route. im dying to try some fast stainless strings that dont 'whisp' and grab my fingers every time i move down the neck.

Can Elixrs slap well?

11. Elixirs slap very well IMO. Note that they are nickel plated, not stainless steel, but they have plenty of slapping zing. The best way to describe feel is like coating brand new nickel roundwounds with a generous amount of GHS Fast Fret (not sure if you ever tried that stuff but you can glide across the strings effortlessly - Elixirs are better than fast Fret because there is no residue). :hyper:

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

FN- Are you playing the steel strings or the nickel wounds? I've tried several different brands of strings and have always found the Fodera strings to the best match with my basses. I greatly prefer the nickel wounds, and that might alleviate some of the problems you say you have, even though I haven't seen that personally.

13. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Stainless Steel.

I should get around to trying some nickel too. Looks like its coming down to me buying about three packs now. I guess you just cant get away from it -- It comes down to buying a bunch of strings and checking for yourself.