Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking to do a les claypool type 6 string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jan 8, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I would like to see all varients of what has been done similar to his bass. Can you guys post photos or links? :hyper: Thanks..tom

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Well, this isn't a six string, but Listerud has done a knock-off four string, complete with Kahler tremolo and the works.

Look here.

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    check out the pictures section over at Carl Thompson's site.
    When you say Les' 6-string, are you referring to the Rainbow bass?

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I did.......after posting :rolleyes: Thanks and yes the rainbow. I have had several requests to do one and I have always said no. I decided to give it a go this time..t :hyper:

5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    and its super sexy!

lots of laminates but with cheaper woods. thats alot of gule!
    made by some dude in ohio Frenz it was.
    not dennis franz from the cop show, although if you want a good laugh close your eyes and imagine him plaing that bass!
    LOL :p

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    That one is very nice. The only thing I don't like is the control cavity cover.........t

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I remember the bass that tribal posted being on ebay. The way the back/ front were contoured was really neat. Rather than shaping the curve with hand tools, the wings were glued on with a wedge shaped piece between them and the neck, thus angling them back. Twas one of the neatest things I'd seen in a while, though I had previously thought of the same concept. I had just figured it would never work.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

I just wonder how he clamped it when glueing on angled pieces?

9. Ah yes my favorite builder Bob Frenz. He does very well with contour bodys. He is my inspiration and I built my first bass with a similar curve to it. Make the wings at around 5 or 6 degrees and I use the pickup routes to glue each side. I also used gorilla glue since it sets fairly quickly.
    I saw a while ago he actually made an exact copy of the CT rainbow that sold on Ebay a few years ago, if I recall it went for over 3k.
    Dirk