looking to DOWNGRADE my rig... help please (ampeg vs gk)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furiously funky, Oct 14, 2005.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    right now, i have a accugroove tri 110. I play mostly jazz r&b, but have joined a rock band with friends while i am home from music school for a year. I want a larger cheeper cab (if i had the cash id just be getting a accugroove or bergantino and wouldnt bother askin you guys :)
    so, question is, should i head for the blx 210 and 410 or the svt 610? Id be getting a aphex big bottom thingey (i think the 204 maybe, not sure what its called) to help it out, but anyway, if you could help me deside between the 2 , or give me another reasonable suggestion (nothing like avatar etc, i cant get them here and dont want to deal with shipping over the can us border)

thank you for reading this post and hopefully helping me choose

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I was gonna say Avatar bu then, snap. Oh well. I'd go Ampeg. Nice and tight, focused too.
  3. I've always thought ampeg was neither tight nor focused...

but they do sound good in a rock band and I've never understood how a terrible cab (when soloed) can sound so full and thick in a live setting.
  4. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
  5. Yeah Avatar smokes GK Backline stuff IMHO. Check out the link to the Canada distributer. The Ampeg 6x10 is a funny sounding cab to me. It sounds more like their 4x10 than their 8x10, which is to say it sounds less focused. I've heard really good reviews of the Yorkville 8x8, check that out.
  6. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    GK Backline stuff is the mediocre series released by GK. more like Squier by Fender.
    they are really bad and i would never recommend them if u can afford Ampeg. Ampeg are a 'rock-standard'.

8" might not be so suitable for rock. i would rather personally go for 12s and 15s for rock purposes especially if ur playing 5strings
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Get some used Eden cabs and you'll be able to cover both styles nicely. A D-210XLT or two can cut just about any gig out there.
  8. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Get an ampeg 8x10 very tight and focused, in fact they originated that term. If they don't sound that way, you are overpowering them especially if it's a 70's cab which were rated at only 240 WRMS. They are very tight until they are pushed too hard.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I find Ampeg cabs to be loose and muddy, but that's just me I guess. :meh:
  10. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    okay, i didnt know that Avatar was available in canada... this has given me more to think about.
    So, if i get the pro 4x10, where can i find specs on it. the web page that was listed here and the avatar page dont seem to be helpful with specs on the cabs. Any ideas where i could find what im looking for?
  11. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Look at the Avatar B212. It's my fave of that size/power handling! It also goes great with the B210.
  12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Why not just toss a 15" cab under the Accugroove 10" cab you already have? Something like say, a Bag End?
  13. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i tried a bag end 212 and didnt like it at all and as far as i know i cant get them here (if you know where i can let me know)

i dont really want to use the accugroove for this stuff, and tossing the 110 in with all the other stuff in a van getting thrown around makes me sad
    i want to keep it out of harms way and i just want something different
    maybe if i had a whappo id just pick up a big flight case, but i cant afford both :( (thats life)
    Sooo im just after a big rock and roll cab that i wont cry about when not if it gets pushed around a bit

ill look at the 212/210
  14. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    hmm ive been thinking that the 210 and a 212 would get it done,
    anyone give me an opinion?
    Im kind of worried about the the low end the avatar would produce, and id be playing well below E so what should i expect? The aphex wouldnt be able to reproduce what the cab cant make i dont expect, so how low can the 212 get in Hrz?
    thanks for the help