Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to downsize: 2x10 or 4x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lildrgn, Sep 7, 2005.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I currently run a TE 4x10 and Ashdown Mini 1x15. Good rig, but quite bulky. In searching for an Ashdown Mini 4x8 to match, I'm finding that they're VERY EXPENSIVE.

Since I'm so po', I'm shifting my focus to a 2x10 cab. Ashdown has a 2x10 for $259 (much more affordable), but I'm wondering what kind of sound trade off I get.

Who here plays a 2x10 and what do you think of it?

Thanks.

2. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    what kind of music do you play and how much volume do you need? 2x10's tend to only work in small clubs or coffee shops. they dont have much low end at all and seem to work better with a 15 or a 12.

3. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I guess I should've been clearer. I play pop/rock (think Cheap Trick/Posies) and would run a 2x10 with a 1x15. Volume-wise, I only compete with a guitar and drums, so it doesn't need to be too loud.

I'm just finding it annoying to have to haul a big-@$$ 4x10 everytime I play out. Most clubs I play have a PA for FOH sound, so the 2x10 and 1x15 are for my personal enjoyment only.

4. My yamaha bbt 500h matching 2x10 cab goes really deep. (I think it is rated to go all the way down to 30hz)