1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to expand my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bbe, Dec 10, 2006.

1. bbe

bbe

Nov 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I currently have a GK Backline 115 combo, but im looking to expand it. Im pretty happy with this amp, its just it sounds like crap when the volume knobs are turned up past half way, which is bad for practice with my band because the guitarists 100 watt amp and the drums over power it. To make it louder, I was wondering if i should get another cab for it (most likely a 2 or 4 x 10) or should i sell it and get a whole new amp with more power? The description in the manual about the amp says that it puts out 125 watts, but if another cab is added, it can put out 175.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    If you have the money, get another amp. Another 50w and another cab wont make a significant difference if you are being overpowered now.

Yes, it would make it louder but like I said, not significantly.

Try to get something rated for at least 300w@4ohms. 500w@4ohms would be better.

Since your drummer and guitar player are overpowering you, for cabs I would get either a 410 or preferably a 115 and 210. The 115 and 210 would give you flexibility to play smaller gigs using one cab, get more power out of your amp and be big enough for most gigs.

Unless of course you are playing outside on an open field with no pa support with the crowd several hundred feet away. In that case you might want to get an amp rated at 10,000w pushing a row of 10 810's. (J/K)

:D

Joe.