1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to expand my music collection

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt2799, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Matt2799

Matt2799

Dec 20, 2008
    RHCP
    RATM
    Foo Fighters
    Nirvana
    Primus
    Stevie Wonder (Kind of)
    Parliament (Kind of)
    Bob Marley
    Audioslave
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Strokes

These are the bands that make up most of my music collection at the moment. This is all well and good, but recently I had got an urge to discover new music, and new genres, which will help me to vary my music collection more, and also should help me vary my bass playing alot more than I do now. I have been searching around (asking friends, browsing internet, listening to Zane Lowe alot more) but nothing has really caught my attention.

Taking into account my current favourite bands, what music would everyone recommend for me to try?

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It never hurts to go to the roots of the stuff you like already:

Velvet Underground
    Hüsker Dü
    The Minutemen
    Wire
    Joy Division/New Order
    The Wipers
    Half Japanese
    Iggy Pop
    The Jam
    Can
    Magazine
    Nico
    NoMeansNo
    Fugazi
    Minor Threat
    Black Flag

The above are some bands that were all pretty heavy influences on the rock bands you mentioned.

As far as any reggae stuff; Bob Marley casts a long shadow, and Jamaican music is notoriously difficult to penetrate. I would reccommend picking up one of Trojan's (the record label) box set. They're all pretty good, just pick whichever set interests you the most. Also, if you like Marley, you should definitely get some Toots and the Maytals, they were contemporaries of Marley's and coined the term "reggae". Funky Kingston is their most famous, but I really like Live From Hammersmith Palais. It gives you Toots as he was meant to be experienced: Live. The soundtrack to The Harder they Come, The Harder They Fall is also spectacular.

3. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston

Finnaly someone who knows who nirvana, rage, and audioslave are! I'm suprised every time my friends talk about music and im like "Ya have you gusy heard the last rage album?" and they give me this dumb look! Same with Nirvana. Except that one hurts more. Buuuutttt back on topic:

STP (Stone Temple Pilots)
    Pearl Jam
    Temple of the Dog (1 Album Project)
    Soundgarden (probably know them cause you like 'slave)
    Eddie Vedder's solo stuff
    Silverchair
    Bush (personnaly nirvana rip-offs but hey its up ta you.)
    Guns N Roses (No, the whole band not just Axl...)
    The Offspring

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gang Of Four
    Living Colour

Sly & The Family Stone

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Fishbone - "Truth And Soul"
    The Specials "The Specials"

Try some Funkadelic - it's more guitar-oriented than its sibling, Parliament.

I think any music fan needs to listen to James Brown. There's a lot to choose from but I'd start with "In The Jungle Groove" (Bootsy plays on most of the tracks).

For reggae I find the Trojan box sets pretty hit or miss. You're better off, in my opinion, checking out some of the Studio One compilations (either on Heartbeat Records or Soul Jazz Records). If I had to choose one place to start it would be the "Studio One Rockers" compilation on Soul Jazz Records (if you're not familiar with Studio One, it was the most important label in the history of Jamaican music - almost every major Jamaican artist from the 60s and 70s passed through the Studio One school.). There's also an essential 4 CD box set on Island Records called "Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music".

Do you buy CDs? If you do, go out and find some funk, R&B, 70s rock, 80s pop compilations (there is a Gold series on Univeral records that covers everything from Motown to Bob Marley to Eric B. & Rakim to 70s Rock - they're very reasonably priced). Compilations are a good way to go because you quickly get introduced to artists you might not have known about (and can then check some of their other stuff out if you like what you hear).

There's so much good music out there. The more you listen, the more you'll hear the connections between things. Don't forget about all of the wonderful music from Africa, Brazil and the rest of South America, Cuba, Haiti, Trinidad... You're lucky - what you're listening to now is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

6. Faith No More

7. Edgeless

Edgeless

Feb 14, 2009
    try some motown...i started listening to that and honestly the bass and the music in general is just amazing in every sense. also some instumental stuff. i.e joe satriani. steve vai etc.

8. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    +1 for this list !!

9. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    +1 for Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam

+10 for Living Colour - you'll love VIVID their first album (great call JimK)

Also try Rush and Led Zepp - you might like those.
    And Cream - especially the live stuff.

10. Matt2799

Matt2799

Dec 20, 2008
    Thanks for the help guys. My favourite suggestings (out of the few I've had time to listen to) so far have been:

Minor Threat
    Living Colour
    Soundgarden

Yeah, I know what you mean. Most of my friends are just listening to mainstream pop at the moment (the stuff mainly on Radio 1) and have never heard of many of the bands that I listen to.

11. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1 for motown.

You might also like to check out some jazz, though it's a lot different to what you've been listening to, but that's what expanding is all about ;) e.g. :

Steps Ahead, Mike Stern/Bob Berg Band, John McLaughlan. Also, a jazzy rock band you might like is Steely Dan.

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The Hives
    Agitpop
    XTC
    Rise Against
    Three Days Grace
    Minutemen & Firehose
    Down & Above
    Ivory Wire
    Dovetail Joint

13. In regards to Nirvana:

Mudhoney
    The Melvins
    Screaming Trees
    Alice in Chains
    Unsane (maybe)
    The Jesus Lizard (maybe)
    The Minutemen (Mike Watt = Punk Bass GOD)
    fIREHOSE (Mike Watt's mellower band)

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    OOOOOOO!

Forgot Bad Brains. I also second The Jesus Lizard, and I would reccommend Liar as the best album to get into them. My first was Goat which is weirder and didn't really grab me from the start the way Liar did. Down is pretty good, but definitely get Liar!

And The Stooges

15. as far as reggae and getting into it goes - you'll have a job getting hold of the trojan box sets. although they're easily the best way to get into reggae, i think they've been deleted. you can probably pick em up second hand, but mine ain't going anywhere. The dub and instrumental boxes are essential listening. I saw toots and the maytals live last year, and they are AWESOME. I recommend giving horace andy a try too, he's the guy who occasionally sings with massive attack, most memorably on "angel". (If you haven't heard massive attack, give them a try too. not reggae, but very heavily reggae influenced.) lee "scratch" perry and king tubby are two amazing innovative producers whose work has influenced pretty much everything that came after them. Check out some compilations of those two, some max romeo and some jimmy cliff. Should give you a decent grounding, but that's just what I'm into.

Plus, on a totally different tip, buy the new isis album. everyone should experience a bit of isis! it's like metal, but good. (jk, i'm a huge headbanger at heart) I also notice a dramatic lack of pink floyd in your list. please rectify this immediately!