looking to for best head for Aguilar rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I'm planning on getting me an Aguilar GS 410 and GS 115. I want some suggestions as to what head to look into. I was thinking the DB750 but i heard its not a tube amp, and supposely tube power sounds better? The other choice I was thinking of was the Ampeg SVTPRO2 or the SVT-CL....

any pros and cons on each one of my choices?
    I need something that can handle all styles of rock.

thanks in advance
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm only speaking from my personal experience which DOES NOT involve tube bass amp experience, but I've had a very low tolerance for thin tinny or harsh solid state amps. I'm saying that NOT all solid state amps sound hard or dry or wimpy.

by looking at your current setup (swr working man amp) you could take a huge step forward in sound with the aguilar cabs as well as a modest priced SS pre and amp.

like I said, from my personal experience, I've had working man 210 combo and then went swr pro head and wedges, now I have two aguilar gs112s ($700) and a tech 21 RBI Preamp ($300) with a stewart world 1.2 power amp ($650) and an SKB 4 space rack ($75)

not counting the cabs the above system will give you 1200w into 4ohms that weighs only 31 LBS!!!!

Tube amps with sufficient power (maybe 400-600w) would weigh ALOT MORE!! and cost twice or three times, not to mention the periodic tube replacement.

EDIT: BTW I am very happy with my RBI and STEWART amp. eventually I'll have two rigs: RBI,166L, stew, (2) gs112s, and another minus the 166L.
  3. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Maybe you shoul consider Thunderfunk... very great solid stat amp... and i'm very pleaded by my sound with my Gs410 :hyper:

www.thunderfunk.com and do a search on the forum' you'll have a lot of information
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Forget about what you heard. Play the DB750. You will buy it. It has great warm tube sound, power up the chunk, and weighs only 46 pounds. How much do you think a 750-watt tube amp weighs?
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If cash is no issue here, go for a DB 728 while they still have em and your choice of a preamp. I like the sound better than the 750 and its plenty loud. Solid state isn't necessarily bad sounding, but for rock you just can't beat tubes.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    whoever told you that never played thru a 750, which sounds just as sweet, and yet slams with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more authority.

750 all the way.

again, while tubes are nice, these days, the SS/tube hybrid stuff sounds just as awesome.

i actually prefer SS power sections, cause they are that much more authorative, tight, and slammin' in the lower frequencies.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    another vote for the 750. one heck of an amp. i just played tru one again the other day and was still just as knocked out as i was when i first tried it.

loud, warm, and punchy are all good adjectives to slap on the 750. jeez i want one. :meh:
  8. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    Has anyone compared the 750 to the 680 with a good solid state power amp?
  9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Have not tried the 680, but my recco is that if you don't get the 750, go pre-power (680 or otherwise) with a CA9 and never look back.
  10. I have what some would consider to be a decent selection of tube amps and while I do use a DB680 with a DB728 or QSC PLX3002 (SS) occasionally, my primary amp is a DB750. Try one out and you will bring it home. The DB750 is (to quote jokerjkny) slammin'. You will not be disappointed.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes lots of people have.
    i think there are quite a few threads that have that sort of stuff in them.

anyhow, the
    preamp in the 750 is very similar to the 659, but with an extra tube. the eq is active, but you can turn the knobs all the way left and right and still get usable sounds. not so with the 680. the 680 has a much more powerful eq section. also, the 680 has 5 tubes instead of 3.

sonically the 750 can be very warm and a bit "woolly", but not in an unpleasant way. to my ears the 680 is a lot more "hi-fi" without being sterile, with more clarity. both sound great. the cool thing abou the 750 is it goes to 2 ohms and is easilly as loud as a lot of poweramps that are rated for more power. it also will accept any preamp you put into via the effects return (and totally bypasses the internal preamp), if one day you decide you like another preamp better. the 750 is one of the few amps i'd not hesitate to use that way as the poweramp section is so good.

www.basstasters.com will give you a bit of an idea if you listen to the 680 and 659 clips, but you really have to try them for yourself. when i demoed the 2 i plugged the 680 right into the effects return of the 750 and switched backl and forth so i was using the same poweramp/volume setting and the same cabinet. that's the way to do it if you can.
  12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I run mine with a QSC PLX1602 and Alembic F1-X ... great sound.
  13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The 750 is a great head. You do lose a little of the "tubiness" but it still will sound great. The GS410 is an relatively effecient. I can use my DB359 with the GS410 and it sounds great! I can play most loud gigs without a problem with this head alone.... I won't tell you about the 680/728...
  14. To everyone who replied, thanks a lot. I appreciate all your inputs, it really is helping with my decision. You Talkbass posters never let me down.
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Have many people on here used the Aggy 500 with the 410? I was thinking of this, or with a 212, then get another 410 or 212.. But i'm worried about the amp running out of headroom.. Only putting out 500 watt into two 700 watt cabs doesn't look to good on paper.
  16. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    Thanks for the comparison. I tried a 750 for the first time a couple weeks ago and a couple things stuck in my brain. One was the warmth was good and transparent until you hit the deep switch, then BOOM, a tube thick tone depth. Monsterous! The only negative I found was the fan noise, which I had read about, but was really surprised just how clearly I could hear the fans. (It didn’t help that I was siting in a quite music store three feet from the amp) I realize that the fan noise would be drowned out by any gig noise, but it did make me wonder if the 680 sitting on a good power amp would be the same without the noise. Overall, I was very impressed by the 750.

As far as clips, I’ve been to all the sites, but you can’t hit the deep switch from here! ;)

Thanks, and please DON’T tell me about the 680/728 together. There is only so much GAS I can take.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    while mikey pointed out both do sound somewhat different from one another, IME, the lows and treble knob still act similar. lows add that milkshake like bottom end, and treble comes across as carved and cutting.

but regardless, the bottom line is that the 750 is plug 'n play, while the 680 is a tweaker's dream.

if you're merely using the 680 preamp with the tone controls all at noon, you're wasting your money. its sooooo much more versatile, and would be a shame if a person didnt unlock its true potential. so, if you need simplicity with killer aguilar sound / power, the 750 is the only choice.

yet, the 680 / power amp rig for moi. with that said, would love to see an optional 750 with a 680 preamp section. :bassist: