Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to get a 6-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wRaith, Jan 30, 2006.

1. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a 6-string bass shortly. What should I look at? I play mostly finger-style, with a little bit of tapping sometimes and (very rarely) some slap.

I'm not really after a custom build or signature bass or anything else that's real high-end, just a nice bass that sounds good and plays well.

I'll have a budget of AUD$2000-2200 max (approx. $1500-1650 US). Is there anything that fits that bill in that price range? Should I look at one of the 6-string Warwicks, or something from the Yamaha TRB line? Maybe something totally different. Any help you guys can give would be awesome.

I'd prefer passive, but I don't think there are too many passive 6-strings around, so that's not a major worry. Also, narrow string spacing would be preferable, because I hardly ever play slap, but do a LOT of finger playing.

Thanks guys.

2. Your playing style and mine sound similar, I don't slap a bunch either. For the budget you listed, you could probably get a decked out Carvin. The new Icon with the new electronics sounds nice in Passive mode. You might be able to get a Warwick, which is always a great option. You may also want to consider Ibanez, I played one yesterday at the Guitar Center and while it didn't look super custom, it played nice and sounded great with the Bartolini electronics at probably half of your budget. Schecter would also be a good choice.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Cirrus 6 all the way. These have fairly tight spacing, and are EXCELLENT basses. Or an Ibanez BTB or a Soundgear (the higher end Soundgears are very decent basses nowadays). Carvin is another option, but I have never played one, so I can't recommend it based on personal experience.

If you go used, as always, you will get a lot more bass for your money, also. Just something to consider.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I'm craving a 6 too... but I love to slap, ala claypool.

6. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I picked up one of Peavey's Fury 6s for 200 bucks from Musicians Friend.. it's pretty nice. Makes me wonder how much nicer their Cirruses or Cirri are :p. I don't know how I could go back to a 4-string now...

7. Have a Warwick Streamer stage 1 6-str. Impressive sound.
    Spacing is wide, but it is a fast-played one. Bartollini active pics. Nice german craftsmanship.

8. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    If I were you, I should check warmoth website to built a killer gecko6!:hyper:

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for the Cirrus! Best neck through 6 under $2000. You can often find them used for less than $1200. Even with shipping to Oz, it would be below your price point.

[​IMG]

10. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Carvins are definately nice. the new Icon series is pretty much secksie. you'll be able to get a real nice one for your budget, if you want.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Personally, I love the Cort Curbows.

God forbid the body size though. I can't sit and play it! haha

-Mark

12. What about those new MTD's that are coming out? Were not there rumors of a 6er as well?

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    +1 for the Cirrus 6... im in love with mine :smug:

14. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm looking at a Cirrus or a Carvin. Some of those Icon basses look awesome. I'm just worried about availability in Australia, because I think freight from the US would kill me.

15. +1 on Carvin