1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to get a new Desktop PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kubacki, Aug 12, 2007.

1. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    I figured since my computer no longer shuts down after 5 years of abuse, and tends to make loud noises at random, it's time to get a new one. Who has the best bang for the buck desktops these days?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Dell.

Always check www.xpbargains.com or www.slickdeals.net for coupons but you can get a monster machine for next to nothing.

As with ANY large PC company you will find people that hate Dell but remember you rarely ever hear from happy customers only the ones that want to cause a fuss and they sell alot of PC's.

I build most of my machines but have owned two Dells that have gone the distance 5+ years with no issues.

Always remember to throw in the extra 20-30 bucks for the two year warranty.

I worked for Geek Squad (way overqualified but wanted a fun job) for about two years and I can tell you that Dell and (the new) Gateways are good bang for the buck pc's.

If you want a stay away list PM me. I repaired on Average 3-4 pc's a day for 4 years+.

Just don't buy the 300.00 deal from any retailer or Dell. The QC on these low end machines are horrible and usually made in a lower end only facility for some companies.

3. +1 to pretty much everything there.

I have been using Dell's for a long time now and despite hearing other less experienced PC users complain, I have had no issues at all.

There will be no brand that everybody likes, there are always haters. So don't let people badmouthing a certain brand influence your choices.

Bang for the buck? Go to those sites that fender gave you, I use those same sites have gotten many GREAT deals from them.

4. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    if your gaming dont buy dell.

5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I like Dell's. Check out the Dell Outlet for real bargains, and choose carefully.

Unless you want to make it a hobby, then build one.

6. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    Cheapest way to do it, by FAR, is to build it yourself or have a friend build it. You can get a VERY good computer buying the parts separately for very, very cheap. pricewatch.com and newegg.com are very good for parts, accessories, whole computers, all kinds of stuff.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cheapest computers I've found are from www.cyberpowerpc.com. I've seen their work too and it's good. Their prices are very close to build-it-yourself prices (Assuming you purchased all the parts brand new). They have a lifetime phone warranty but I've heard that the techs can be hard to get a hold of.

bc

8. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    Thanks for all the replies. From the looks of things, it seems like Dell will be the best for what I need. Again, I appreciate all the input!