1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to get my first Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Woody1999, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Woody1999

Woody1999

Dec 13, 2015
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi all,

I've been an electric bass player for a good 4-5 years now, which was perfectly fine for the majority of my bands and gigs, but now that I am focused more on jazz, I am looking into getting a double bass to learn and eventually gig with alongside my electric.

I've pretty much no experience with upright basses at all other than playing some horrific ones at my college. I've heard the horror stories about the super cheap basses being practically unplayable, and I'm worried that with a very limited budget (read: student life) I'm going to end up with something that I'll give up with after a few weeks.

So I've decided to pick the brains of who else but you guys. Any advice would be amazing, about particular basses to look for, playing, or any tips and tricks that are important.

Thanks in advance,

Woody

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    TroyK likes this.
  3. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I would highly recommend renting a bass for awhile and seeing where you land. You'll then be in a position to make a better judgement with buyings and ultimately deciding it is something you want to pursue. Also recommend getting a few lessons up front as the technique is very different from electric bass and is not nearly as intuitive, leading to physical pain when you have bad habits.

Ross Kratter and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Start off with a good teacher for a while and a
    bass with adjustable bridge.
    Good luck.