Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking to get my first stack thing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I want to get a head/cabinet that will have people neighborhood calling the police, I want something that can destroy suns with it's massive wave of punishing sound. okay, maybe not that loud! It dosn't need good tone, aslong as it can chug out a nice grindy overdrive. I really just want the loudest, most obnoxious rig for under $700. the good obnoxious. And have it be slightly portable.

Am I asking to much? :( Because I don't know much about amps :( In guitar center I always feel rushed, and there arn't many other places to try out stuff where I live.

2. Ok since no one's done it yet, I will...Type of music?Bass playing through this setup?My reccomendations without knowing those would be..

Used Carvin R600---200-350

It's a little more than 700, but you could probably get a nice grinding OD with it...If I didn't have my Hartke, I'd go with a Carvin...But for now...it's good for me.

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I play with an MIM Jazz. I can't describe my style or what I play. The sound I'm looking for is a Shellac/Jesus Lizard sound, they both used Traynor TS-50bs (cheap head, but kind of hard to find) into miced 1x15s. Live I'm sure Jesus Lizard used a standard svt set-up, while Shellac's bassist uses the line out on his ts-50b into a 8x10 or 2x15 fed by a PA. or something.

Except I don't know much about PAs, I don't have a ts-50b, and I can't afford an SVT setup I don't think.

4. avatar 4x10 375with shipping
    used power amp 150-400 with shipping
    used pre amp 100-500
    over all it will be around your price range and you will have a killer rig

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If you want massive sound as your first priotiry, get a couple of old peavey cabs....the ones with an 18, and 2 tens each. These sound decent, and will definitely move air. Power it up with a used power amp, and a sansamp, and you are set. I still like massive rigs myself.....my new one consists of an eden 115, and (soon to be) an eden 410xlt, and undecided power amp.

6. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    a poweramp and a sansamp? can a sansamp bassdriver act as a preamp? or another sansamp?

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The bass driver DI makes quite a nice preamp, that's whats going to be used with my eden rig. If I like it, I may upgrade to the RBI.