Looking to get some books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    My birthday is comming up, so I figure I'll use some birthday money to get some books. I don't have any books yet, but this is what I am already planning to get:

Bass Fitness: An Exercising Handbook

Building Walking Bass Lines

I am not a beginner, but I am just past that. I've gotten the basics down, tuning, where to fret, plucking, tecnique, I got the chromatic scale down on the neck, etc, etc. Right now I'm looking into theory, how to create lines, etc, etc. I bet I could afford 1-2 more books, any ideas? Maybe a book with some transcriptions to help my reading? A nice jazz book? I don't even know what I want or what I should want ;P
  2. If you want to improve your reading, I'd suggest Simplified Sight Reading for Bass, it's a Hal Leanord Bass Builders thing, it's an excellent book. Also, the Standing in the Shadows of Motown Book helps you reading and funk playing no end.

As for jazz books, check out http://www.jazzbooks.com , that has some great books, pick out any ones you like.

Hope that helps
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Standing In The Shadows Of Motown...
  4. For improving sight reading I recomend Reading contemporary electric bass by Rich Appleman. It covers alot of styles and helps Build skills with rhythm techniques. It's a great book. The down side is it is printed by Berklee Press so I don't know if you can find it in your local music shop but it is distributed by Hal Leonard.
  5. The Building Walking Bass Lines is an exelent book. In terms of other books if your into jazz check out Ed Friedland's other books, Bass Improvisation and Jazz Bass. If you are interested in getting improving sight reading, that building walking bass lines will work for the bassics and The Bassists Link to Sight Reading is not bad.