looking to get some fender 9050M flatwounds for my Cort GB44...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dryheatbob, May 22, 2003.

1. ... off the net and have a few questions I thought some here could answer before I bought them.

My Cort is a string thru design with a 34" neck- are these strings gonna be long enough?

My bass has an active EQ- will I be able to dial out some of the 'thump' flatwounds are known for if I want to play something a bit more modern?

The neck is pretty thin. I read a review at BGRA.net that complained about the neck on his bass bowing due to the tension of these strings. Anybody else have that problem? The reviewer switched to GHS flats and the problem went away.

The stuff I tend to play is old Motown and 60's-early 70's rock.

Thanks for any input.

2. C'mon!

No one out there has any experience with a similar set up?:bassist:

Kinda hard to believe that!
  3. ok, well i don't have a string through bass, but i have 9050's on a top loader and there is almost 3" of string past the nut before it starts to wind down. there are no silk windings at the tuner end, they're at the bridge end strangely enough. so i would guess that you'll be fine.

but if you're worried about your neck bowing, i'd say start with the L size. it'll give you a better idea of what you're dealing with without overwhelming you - these strings are TIGHT! they make my neck bend slightly more than usual, but if i needed fast, low action, i wouldn't use these strings. they are not particularly "modern" but great for old school high-action thumping. since you mention motown i think these would be great for you, but don't bank on being able to play "modern" with 'em.
  4. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    They will fit. I have an epiphone power bass(string through) and they fit perfectly. They stay in tune really well too.

Also, what do you mean by modern? These flats are great for a Geezer Butler type tone, but rounds are needed for ringing prominance.
  5. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Oh, these strings are great for motown! Respect to James Jamerson.
  6. I guess what I call modern and what some of the younger guys on TB call modern might be a bit different. Mostly R&R up until the mid '80s or so. The guys I bang around with don't play much past about the mid 70s. Just wondering if 9050's might do in a pinch. Sorry for the confusion.

I was looking over some old posts on flats earlier today and ran across a few posts that mentioned a couple of brands(GHS? Labella? don't really remember) that make flats or hybrid strings that are a bit brighter than normal flats. Looks like I may need to hustle down to the bass shop and see if they have a bass or two with some of these strings on 'em and and see how they sound/feel. I'm getting the impression I'll have an easier time toning down a bright string than dialing it in on 9050's.

thanks for the info, guys.