1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to go Active....help!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by schmittuml, Mar 9, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I have a MIM Jazz that I am looking to make active. I know nothing about wiring or anything, but I am looking to have complete range onboard...I know ive seen basses with about 4 or 5 knobs and I know these are active compared to passive. What would I need to get for the bass to get a full onboard active preamp?

Also, i've seen on higher end basses switches about 3 or 4 of em, is this MIDI, or what are they used for.

Thanks in advance...

-Brian Schmitt

2. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    hmm, wierd. my bass is active, and i only have 4 knobs...two volume controls and two tone knobs...

i dont think ive seen a bass with switches.... only guitars

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Brian,

Various active pre-amp set ups have different fuctionalities assigned to their knobs/switches. This is dependant upon their design. For example, if you compare them, you will find the EMG, Demeter, the Aguilar and the J-Retro are all very different. Some have identical tone shaping controls (Bass, mid, some have a mid sweep, treble, etc) while other don't (some have a "passive" switch, etc)

Ted