Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to go Active....help!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by schmittuml, Mar 9, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I have a MIM Jazz that I am looking to make active. I know nothing about wiring or anything, but I am looking to have complete range onboard...I know ive seen basses with about 4 or 5 knobs and I know these are active compared to passive. What would I need to get for the bass to get a full onboard active preamp?

Also, i've seen on higher end basses switches about 3 or 4 of em, is this MIDI, or what are they used for.

Thanks in advance...

-Brian Schmitt

2. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    hmm, wierd. my bass is active, and i only have 4 knobs...two volume controls and two tone knobs...

i dont think ive seen a bass with switches.... only guitars

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Brian,

Various active pre-amp set ups have different fuctionalities assigned to their knobs/switches. This is dependant upon their design. For example, if you compare them, you will find the EMG, Demeter, the Aguilar and the J-Retro are all very different. Some have identical tone shaping controls (Bass, mid, some have a mid sweep, treble, etc) while other don't (some have a "passive" switch, etc)

Ted